Telephone Scammers.

Started by Techno, 13 June 2019, 03:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Not as rude as the vicar that Von and I met when we still lived in Nottinghamshire.

(He was actually a really lovely chap.)

At that point in time....Von worked part-time at the local 'village' garage.
Tony...The vicar...On his very first day in the parish, went to said garage...and filled his car with the wrong fuel.
I can't remember whether he put petrol in a diesel car...or diesel in a petrol car.....(Which ever one's the real 'no-no'.)

Von says she saw him say a very Anglo-Saxon epithet, beginning with 'F'.
I ended up being pulled away from pushing putty about, to go and give Tony...and his family....a lift to his new vicarage.

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

A colleague at work once got a call from his wife, who had an important meeting to attend, to tell him she had accidentally filled her petrol car's tank with diesel.

With remarkable restraint, perhaps conscious of the stress she was already under, he told her to get a cab back to the house and take his car.

Cue phone call a short while later to say that she had filled his diesel car's tank with petrol.

I imagine several words beginning with "F" may have been said in their household that night! :)

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

lowlylowlycook

Me and a friend of mine were exchanging info and when he called my cell, Google decided that it was "Scam Likely".   When imported to contacts that reads as First Name: Scam Last Name: Likely.

I'm going to watch his dice rolls very carefully from now on.

Techno

Quote from: Ithoriel on 17 June 2019, 09:54:48 AM
A colleague at work once got a call from his wife, who had an important meeting to attend, to tell him she had accidentally filled her petrol car's tank with diesel.
With remarkable restraint, perhaps conscious of the stress she was already under, he told her to get a cab back to the house and take his car.
Cue phone call a short while later to say that she had filled his diesel car's tank with petrol.
I imagine several words beginning with "F" may have been said in their household that night! :)

THAT is a classic !!.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm sure it wasn't very funny, for them, at the time, tho'.

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Shouldn't be possible with modern cars, the nozzles on the pipes are different sizes, and the cars have gates on the tank to stop the wrong pump fitting.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

I've been meaning to ask, for a while, chaps.....

Does everyone else's 'pain the bum' calls come in the evening, during the 'day'....or a combination of the two ?

99% of mine seem to be during the day. Can't remember the last time I had one after six in the evening.

Just wondering.

Cheers - Phil

Whenever - no particular time.

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Orcs

Normally during the day, Often the same one will call at around the same time for a few days.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

I suspect a lot of them work office hours just so during the day, it also has the bonus of being able to catch people who are more likely to be naive or vulnerable to their scams during the day, especially the elderly who seem to be on the receiving end of a lot of these scams. You'll find this more with the landline based ones than the mobile ones (as younger people don't have landlines!)

Techno

OI......Careful....I'm classed as elderly. (You young whippersnapper.) ;)

Cheers - The Ancient one

mmcv

My humblest respects, oh venerable elder one. You are of course much too wise to be taken in by such charlatons!

Regards,

A young(ish) whippersnapper

Quote from: Techno on 18 June 2019, 12:00:25 PM
OI......Careful....I'm classed as elderly. )

Not elderly - the waking dead is more accurate !

Techno

If you only knew, Ian.

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

...and I saw a figure hunched upon a throne before the altar and the hair of the figure was grey as smoke and the hands thereof were scarred with wounds and before him were men and beasts, the work of his hands, and behold the name of him that sat upon the throne before the altar was Techno, The Ancient Of Days! :D :D :D :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data