D-Day - how did churchill tanks get onto the beaches?

Started by Wulf, 12 June 2019, 12:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

That looks like a strange topic, but there's a specific reason why I ask. I've been printing some 3d minis, including lots of Churchill AVRE versions, and now I've printed a LCM-3, thinking that would be how they got on shore.

They don't fit...

Now, OK, it's entirely possible I've got the scales wrong, but it does look like the Churchill is too wide. Specifically the armoured air filters on each side. I believe they would be removed for rail transport, but as I've seen numerous pictures (and even printed a couple of minis) of Churchills with wading gear attached to those filters, I'd imagined they came onshore from landing craft same as Shermans, etc.

So, like the topic says, how did Churchil tanks get on to the beaches on D-Day?

kustenjaeger

Wulf

Quote from: kustenjaeger on 12 June 2019, 01:24:02 AM
LCT or LST.
Right, so, true enough, it needs something bigger. An LCT shouldn't be beyond 3d printing in 10mm scale though...

Kiwidave

John Cook

Wasn't the LCM-3 designed in the US to fit a Sherman?  What did they use to land Churchill's at Dieppe?

Wulf

Hmmm... even if someone modelled it, only the smallest of the LCTs, the Mk 5 & 6, would fit on my printer, and even then only diagonally...

Wulf

Quote from: John Cook on 12 June 2019, 11:56:25 AM
Wasn't the LCM-3 designed in the US to fit a Sherman?  What did they use to land Churchill's at Dieppe?
Wiki says LCTs.

fsn

"Dieppe at Dawn" (RW Thompson, 1956) gives losses at Dieppe as 5 x LCT(2)

"Dieppe August 19" (Eric Maguire, 1963) just talks of LCTs.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

This link gives the Landing table for Sword Beach, there are tables for all the beaches

http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/sword/en_page.php?page=landing

"10 LCT(AVRE)" suggests that the Churchills were in LCT
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sultanbev

I did try a quick google to see if there are any card models of LCTs that may be of use, rather than metal/resin/3D printed ones, but didn't turn anything up.

Mark

Wulf

Quote from: sultanbev on 12 June 2019, 11:26:01 PM
I did try a quick google to see if there are any card models of LCTs that may be of use, rather than metal/resin/3D printed ones, but didn't turn anything up.
Yeah, it's a foot long in 10mm scale, it would be HUGE in larger, more common, scales.

Wulf

Didn't take long to find one though... And it'll only (ONLY! HA!) take 8 1/2 hours to print, albeit at less detail than I usually print...

pierre the shy

Looking at the more detailed landing tables for Juno Beach from here http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/juno/en_landings.php

It appears that all the 79th Armoured Div ARVE's were carried in LCT 5's with 4 vehicles per LCT: 

Nan White and Nan Red
H Hour
Breaching Teams
LCT5's from 106 LCT Flotilla will land Breaching Teams at H Hour.
80 Assault Squadron, RE - T/Major Reginald Trery Wiltshire, RE
80th Assault Squadron was attached from the 5th Engineer Assault
Regiment, 1st Assault Brigade RE, 79th Armoured Division
"B" Squadron, 22nd Dragoons, was attached from the 30th
Armoured Brigade, 79th Armoured Division
26 Assault Squadron, RE and "B" Squadron, 22nd Dragoons, landed under the command of 8th
Canadian Infantry Brigade.
Nan White
Green Gap, 1 Troop - Lt John
Holland Saunders, RE
Serial 1408 is LCT5 2286 from 106 LCT Flotilla carrying:
• 1 x Sherman Crab (Cpl Cavill) with 5 crew - 1 Troop, 'B' Squadron, 22nd Dragoons
• 1 x AVRE 1D (Lt Saunders) with Log Carpet and 6 crew - 1 Troop, 80 Assault Squadron,
RE
• 1 x AVRE 1C (L/Sgt Burnell) with Fascine and 6 crew - 1 Troop, 80 Assault Squadron,
RE
• 1 x AVRE 1E (Sgt Smith - WIA 6 June) with SBG Bridge and 6 crew - 1 Troop, 80 Assault
Squadron, RE
Serial 1409 is LCT5 2436, Lt Reginald Edwards, RNVR from 106 LCT Flotilla carrying:
• 1 x Sherman Crab (Sgt G. A. K. Crewe) with 5 crew - 1 Troop, 'B' Squadron 22nd
Dragoons
• 1 x AVRE 1B with 6 crew - 1 Troop, 80 Assault Squadron, RE
• 1 x AVRE 1F Petard (Lt Oxtoby) and 6 crew - 1 Troop, 80 Assault Squadron, RE
• 1 x D7 Armoured Bulldozer (Spr Scott - KIA 6 June) with 2 crew - 1 Troop, 26 Assault
Squadron, RE
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021