WW2 Turkisn uniform colour

Started by Sunray, 27 May 2019, 01:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Quote from: sultanbev on 27 May 2019, 11:42:49 PM
You do have multiple options.
In 1939 the Turks and French had a dispute over an enclave on the Syrian border, so that's one potential conflict.
In 1941 the Turks mobilised when Barbarossa started. One reason Bulgaria didn't join the invasion of Russia was that the best part of their forces were mobilised on the Turkish border, so you have a fairly even scrap potential between Turkish and Bulgarian forces.
Later in 1941, when the Aussie 9th Division was pulled out of Tobruk, it was deployed to northern Syria as the establishment was seriously concerned that the Turks might invade from the north.
In 1944 the Turks mobilised again when the Soviets started coming the other way. T-34/85s and Is-2 versus Valentines and a few Panzer IVs wouldn't be pleasant, but at least you get to play with Deacons and Bishops. Guess where all our crap went after the Tunisian campaign? To the Turks....
In 1945 Stalin did contemplate invade Turkey, but the losses in Germany put paid to that idea.
The you have the consideration of a German blackmail - give us access or we'll invade, in 1941, as a precursor to a later Barbarossa, or to help Rommel in North Africa. With 40 divisions, invading Turkey wouldn't be an easy task, but just driving a Panzer Korps across to invade the Caucasus or northern Syria would have been a major logistical exercise in it's own right.

On top of that you can get ultra medieval and just pit the Turks against traditional opponents, eg Russians, Romanians, Bulgarians, Hungarians, Vichy Syrians or colonial Brits in Syria/Palestine/Iraq/Egypt.

A lot of good games out there!

KTravlos

Glad to see people helped! The post-1923 period is not my strong point on the Turkish Army, though I always like thinking about a What If were Theodoros Pangalos (Greek dictator 1926-1927) is able to get Italian support for his Turkish War.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner