Close Assault Queries

Started by AJ at the Bank, 11 June 2019, 06:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ at the Bank

11 June 2019, 06:25:47 PM Last Edit: 11 June 2019, 06:27:58 PM by AJ at the Bank
A couple of Close Assault (CA) (hopefully simple) queries for clarification please -

(1) Rules requiring LoS to a potential CA target seem to have been reinforced (p40). Does this mean no more CA in smoke please?

(2) Do Reece Support Units (RSUs) that acted as Reece in their turn, go back to being plain RSU when Inactive - and as a result - may be CA'd please?

(3) Second sentence in the miss-labelled 'Opportunity Fire' section on p40 : Should this read "No unit may use Opportunity Fire when reacting to an assault" please?

(4) Under Resolution table on p41... Does the +1d6 modifier for Infantry or Engineer units attacking open AFVs include Halftracks please?

(5) Under Retreat section on p42 ...Should the final bullet for K/O units read "They are Retreating unlimbered guns, troops in fortifications or dug-in AFVs"...or correct as "Retreating into..." please?

Many thanks again
Adam
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Big Insect

1. Yes ... but I think it has always been thus that you have to be able to see a unit to assault it - admittedly Smoke now completely obscures

2. No ... if a RSU uses its Recce capabilities or even tries to do so, it in effect becomes Recce for that game turn, so is suppressed at the end of the recce action (or attempted action), Next game turn (for that player) it can behave either as an RSU and be ordered or can undertake another Recce action.

3. Yes - been picked up already in Errata - thank you. I'll check but I think all defensive fire in an Assault is either support fire or reaction fire (if the assault occurs as part of an initiative action).

4). Half-tracks are AFV's - as they are armoured fighting vehicles - e.g. a hard or armoured target

5).  Not got my rules set with me but I think it reads correctly, in that all of these will KO if forced to Retreat as they are either, incapable of moving (unlimbered guns)  or in a position where they are stuck in defenses (troops in fortifications or dug-in AFV's).

Cheers
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

AJ at the Bank

Thanks Mark -

Couple of checks if I may please  -

(1) Used to be able to CA in smoke (per Answer 1 of v2 FAQs)

(2) Just so I understand (sorry to be thick) - here is an example -
Player A uses her RSU as a Reece Unit in Turn 6. On player B's Turn 6, can he assault the RSU ...or is it deemed as a Reece unit please? Incidentally - the RSU supression marker comes off at the end of Player A's Turn 6 right please?

(3) Many thanks - understood

(4) Halftracks are considered AFVs for this rule? Not HTR separate from AFVs per definitions on p168/169 please?

(5) Yes - please check when able ....think the rule reads incorrectly ...and that these units become K/O'd if they are forced to retreat ...not if they are bumped into.

Thanks for all the help Mark!
Adam

Big Insect

(1). I will check the implications of what you are implying but the intention is that you have to see a unit to assault it

(2). In which case it is a Recce unit as far as the assault or shooting is concerned (as it is the same Game Turn) - so it can potentially Evade

(3). If a unit has a Save it is armoured. The half-track rules are in addition to any other aspects of them being an Armoured Fighting Vehicle (AFV)

(4). It will take a few days ... however it might be that both applies. Falling back into these units and also if they fall back - both are equally bad
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

AJ at the Bank

Thanks Mark - appreciate the clarification - will await outcome.
AJ 

Big Insect

Page 42 Retreat

It means exactly what it says AJ
Units are knocked-out when

• Retreating into friendly or enemy unlimbered guns, troops in fortifications and dug-in AFVs
I cannot see the ambiguity - pretty clear to me?

AJ at the Bank

Sorry Mark

The question is whether the rule is meant to read -

Units are K/O'd when ....
"Retreating into friendly or enemy unlimbered guns, troops in fortifications and dug in AFVs" - per bullet p42...
Or
"Retreating units are friendly or enemy unlimbered guns, troops in fortifications and dug in AFVs" - per v2 of same rule.

Just trying to understand of its a typo or rule change.
Ta
Adam

Big Insect

Not a typo

In fact I might consider that both apply (but I'll have a think about that).

AJ at the Bank

Thanks Mark

Yes both makes sense - good to ponder it