AT Attacks Against Soft Targets

Started by T13A, 10 June 2019, 10:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Hi

Just perusing the rules before hopefully attending the 'bootcamp' next Saturday.

I have just noticed that units that have an AT (anti-tank) value but no AP (anti-personnel) value may not cause any hits against 'soft' targets (apologies if I am being slow on this one and if it has been discussed before).

Anyway, in the past I have always played it (BKC-II that is) that any unit with only an AT value could shoot at and hit any 'vehicle' ('soft or hard skinned' but not at deployed infantry). Have I been doing this wrongly and am I correct in saying that this is the way it should be played in BKC-IV?

This would mean of course that a 6pdr unit in the desert in 1942 (with only an AT value) with a truck load of enemy infantry (both 'soft' targets) coming towards them could not hit the aforesaid truck or infantry that it was carrying. Is this the intention?

Cheers Paul 
T13A Out!

Dr Dave

I fear that you have been playing it incorrectly - trucks are also soft. Anything with no save is unarmoured and hence soft. So in your scenario you'd have no effect - in BKCII.

In BKCIV suppressive fire has made a welcome return. So you'd hit on a 6 (soft truck so no saves) and suppress on a 6 in the RAW.

Big Insect

Dave is right T13A - trucks are Soft and so are unarmoured - Tanks, Carriers, Half-tracks are Hard or Armoured as they have a saving throw.
It was ever thus in BKCII and in BKCIV.
The difference in BCKIV is that that AP shot can cause suppression potentially

Cheers
Mark

Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday Paul ... we have a very nice Eastern Front game for you to participate in or there is a Western Desert bash. Possibly even a France 1940's game as well.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

T13A

Hi

Thanks both for the clarification. I am glad to see that any crew and/or passengers sitting in a truck hit by a 6pdr AT round might be at least slightly put out!

Cheers Paul

PS Mark, further comments on the 'Bootcamp' thread.
T13A Out!