The Thing in 10mm scale

Started by Wulf, 11 June 2019, 09:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

I don't actually do Vietnem era gaming, but I always had a soft spot for the M50 ONTOS...Now, I THOUGHT I'd scaled this down to 10mm scale, but it was actually 15mm... so, I tried again (and printed a landing craft alongside it). Note that the guns are printing unsupported after the link at turret height, but there's no discernable wobble. Bloody marvellous stuff this eSUN PLA+. Some stringing, but I think that's due to a little overextrusion - and as  it's worst right at the first layer, possibly because of the extra heat from the buildplate. Some experimentation required...

Never underestimate an FDM printer...

Note that the problem, unexpectedly, was not the guns, but the tracks - there's a thin metal reinforcement plate outside the tracks/wheels that's just too thin to print properly at these scales. Needs a bit of filler & filing.

Terry37

Awesome!!! I can see great possibilities with 3D printing, but not something I feel I'd be good at!

Terry

"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Raider4

Models looking good, but I thought I'd be reading an AAR of a skirmish game set in an Antarctic base . . .

Techno

;D ;D ;D ;D

Same here, I'm afraid. ;)....I was thinking of that nice John Carpenter's film. (YES....I know it wasn't the original !! ;))

Cheers - Phil

Shedman

Quote from: Techno on 13 June 2019, 10:25:46 AM
I was thinking of that nice John Carpenter's film

Ditto

:- :-

Do Pendraken do modern  figures in Arctic clothing?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Wulf

Quote from: Raider4 on 13 June 2019, 10:16:16 AM
Models looking good, but I thought I'd be reading an AAR of a skirmish game set in an Antarctic base . . .
I should have posted a pic of one of the print failures. Most of them end up looking like something from that (utterly superb) film...

Techno

;D ;D ;D ;D

Good for you, Wulf !

Cheers - Phil