COs - Obligatory?

Started by AJ at the Bank, 08 June 2019, 08:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ at the Bank

Reading Norm's rather nice write up of his recent game (see BKCIV battles section of the Forum) - made me wonder.....

...Is it obligatory to have a CO in each Battlegroup?

The only reference I can find is a rather veiled one in the Breakpoint section (as per BKCII also).

Do we need COs or no?  ;)
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Big Insect

Technically No. But I'd rule probably Yes, unless you have a specific scenario.

With no CO the game would just end when all your HQs have completed all their orders

But why you'd not have a CO I don't know, as usually they have the higher CV in the army.
They have some other advantages as well.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

AJ at the Bank

Perfect reply- thank you Mark
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Norm

My own (very limited) experience as per the replay described, is that having a CO would have, over the course of the game, help smooth out some of the extremes in the variables of Command Rolls. So in my game, the Canadiansin the village, purely through bad luck, kept on rolling too high to activate. Having a CO in the Order-of-Battle would likely have smoothed some of that out ...... but with it increasing the hitting potential of a force, I might then have to consider whether to drop the optional rule of cumulative hits i.e. play the game as presented.

I really do like the story telling that falls from these rules.

T-Square

In military terms this is easy.  The senior ranking individual is always in command so for that action is the CO.  So in game terms the highest ranking HQ would automatically be the CO.