Hello from Manchester

Started by Morty, 13 December 2019, 02:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

Welcome from NZ Morty.

I haven't played much mid C19th stuff but add another vote for Volley & Bayonet....really good for AWI and Napoleonics.

Cheers
Peter
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Chris Pringle

Hi Morty,

Congratulations on your retirement. May it be a long and happy one with plenty of good friends and good gaming.

Good luck with finding the ruleset that suits your taste and your gaming circle. Meanwhile if you want some 1848 reading this summer, let me shamelessly recommend this:
https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/hungary-1848-the-winter-campaign.php?sid=1120fbae5faaaa46756d161be883eaae&fbclid=IwAR27p6I9UcYMfMzC0V5T1PyBaaEiQOGJlh2PjzCVTv899hbpug9OBGhfIFM

A conflict for which, not coincidentally, there is already a bunch of BBB scenarios freely available ...

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

fsn

Welcome Marty.

Picture ... when you've got some figures painted, please.

You'll find this place full of the skilled and the knowledgeable, and all willing to share.  Also very friendly and encouraging. Occasionally silly.

Post often!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Morty

Thank you all again. A warm welcome indeed. It seems some of you are the very people who's stuff has inspired me to take up this period. There really is a wealth of very well thought out and researched material available. My first inspiration was a chance purchase of the two "Wargaming In History" books on the 1866 war. I love the ambition of that whole wargaming project.

Chris Pringle - thank you for letting me know about your new book on the Hungarian war which looks right up my street. There seems to be very little in English about the huge events of 1848etc. By the way, I love your scenarios for BBB and the time and thought that has gone into making them. This is also true for the Age of Valor and 1871 systems.

As I am sure is true for many of you, understanding the history is at the core of what I want to do. I have spent most of my hobby time in the past with Ancients and WW2 and part of the appeal of getting into this new period is that I knew bugger all about it. I have a pile of books that I am going through to get me started with an overview of the major wars and events of the mid nineteenth century in Europe. These are;

AJP Taylor The Struggle For Mastery In Europe
Gordon - The Battle Of Koniggratz
Barry -The Road To Koniggratz
Pocock - Bitter Victory
Howard - The Franco Prussian War
Barry - War In the East
Von Herbert - The Defence Of Plevna

The big gaps are the Crimean war and Italian war of 1859 where I am struggling to find good general accounts in English. Any recommendations would be great?

Trying to upload a picture of my efforts so far but seems the file is too big. I will have another go when I am at my laptop

Cheers

Morty

Can anyone recommend a good introductory work on the Crimean war

mollinary

Hi again Morty,

I am glad you enjoyed the 1866 books, John Dz (Hardfast, on this forum, albeit occasionally) and I had a great time researching, battlefield walking, playing and writing them.  John will also be leading a battlefield tour in July of the main Franco-Prussian War battlefields. I have done this a couple of times, but I am going again simply because it is so much fun, and the fields help explain so much about the battles. State of preservation is generally quite remarkable. 

For 1859 I thoroughly recommend Bruce Weigle's 1859 rule book. Not only for its scenarios, which cover all the main engagements for the war, but also for the simply magnificent detailed bibliography, which is not only comprehensive, but also contains his own excellent analysis of the pros and cons of the books covered.

Andrew
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Morty

Thank you for the recommendations.