World Cup chat

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 07 June 2019, 08:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

I think this VAR thing at penalties is quite easily remedied. Introduce a rule that compels the goalkeeper to face the back of the net whilst standing on the line at the moment the kick is taken. And if the ball hits the keeper and does not go in, show the keeper the yellow card for unsports(wo)manlike conduct for not getting out of the way and order a re-take.  :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

Indeed. This new rule is utter b******s!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

To repeat....

I totally agree.

Frigging stupid rule.....As it stands, at the mo'.

Cheers - Phil

lowlylowlycook

On the plus side, the yellow cards they are handing out for the goalie being inches off their line might make for less time wasting at the end of matches.

lowlylowlycook

The interview that Marta gave after the loss to Fance was pretty amazing.

https://twitter.com/FOXSoccer/status/1142931040463290368

Hopefully people can see that but I'm not sure how FIFA handles twitter.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Cameroon shove on the ref was unnoticed, after a pretty bad tempered match?!   :o
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 19 June 2019, 11:54:35 PM
With these new rules about the goalie's feet actually touching the line when penalties are taken, I'm having a hard time calculating how long a shootout might take.    The combination of time spent on VAR and the huge disadvantage the goalies are dealing with might make for a "cricket like" experience.

Then again, maybe the North Korean referee will just call it over at 6-5 even though every penalty has been scored up to that point.

Isn't the goalie supposed to be at a huge disadvantage when the penalty is taken?  :-\

Wasn't a(/the?) previous version of Law 14 that the goalie had to remain stationary until the ball was struck?  At least under the current law they can shift their weight in anticipation of the strike - like a tennis player waiting to receive a service.
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

O Dinas Powys

I think the major problem is the way they've decided to implement an American Football style VAR system where the referee gets a call and has to run to a viewingbooth on the half-way line to make a decision on supplied evidence.  I think a hybrid rugby system (taking from both codes) would work a lot better:

From RU the constant monitoring for foul play and bring such events to the attention of the referee for sanction.
From RL the system for adjudicating of goals and penalties, where if the referee thinks there is any issue or doublt they call for it and the video ref makes the decision.  This is also the cricket system and take the on field-officials out of the ultimate decision.  Personally I perfer this over the RU version where there is often a three-way discussion and it can seem muddy.

Ultimatel - for VAR to become accepted like it has in RL, RU, cricket and the NFL - it has to be stramlined AND both the spectaors in the stadium and at home need to know what's going on and why - whether they actually know the rules or not is another matter...
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Techno

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 24 June 2019, 12:11:11 PM

Wasn't a(/the?) previous version of Law 14 that the goalie had to remain stationary until the ball was struck? 

Pretty sure you're right on that one, Meirion.

Cheers - Phil

fred.

The issues with footballs VAR seems to be several fold
It's really slow - with the ref running over to peer at a screen
It's really slow - referrals seem to come in well after the play (this can happen a bit in RU too)
It's really slow - running through the various angles time and again (this is often an issue with any video review) cricket seems best at this but it is helped by having much more fixed points of action
It's very picky - the goalies feet and some of the offsides, feel like decisions that would never have been called in real time. So its not an assistant it's changing the play of the game.
It seems inconsistent - particularly around foul play. RU seems quite good at this.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Raider4

VAR is going to bring in a) a lot more penalties, and b) a lot of disallowed goals when it's introduced into the english premier league.

And I agree that the whole process needs to be a lot more streamlined, and the actual paying public in the grounds must be made aware of what is going on.

lowlylowlycook

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 24 June 2019, 12:11:11 PM
Isn't the goalie supposed to be at a huge disadvantage when the penalty is taken?  :-

Wasn't a(/the?) previous version of Law 14 that the goalie had to remain stationary until the ball was struck?  At least under the current law they can shift their weight in anticipation of the strike - like a tennis player waiting to receive a service.

Indeed, my understanding is that the rule changed to be more permissive for the goalie.  Previously both feet had to be on the line when the ball was struck and now it's just one.  But the original rule was only policed for obvious infractions, if even that.  Also there is a disconnect between the goalie trying to time the kick of the ball and going back frame by frame to see when she moved.  I'd say that the most unfair thing isn't that the goalies have to adapt to this new rule (as called) but that they have change how they play in a very short time during the World Cup.  Wait, no.  That's not it.  It's the yellow card for your feet being inches off the line.

Then again, I wouldn't listen to me, I'd listen to this prophet right here:
Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 20 June 2019, 03:57:46 PM
Somebody's bound to balloon one up into row Z.

Sam Kerr  :(

lowlylowlycook

My understanding is that England considers a fourth place finish in a World Cup quite the success.

Congratulations!

Since I'm 1/2 Dutch (well Frisian), I can't lose tomorrow. 

jimduncanuk

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 06 July 2019, 10:54:19 PM

My understanding is that England considers a fourth place finish in a World Cup quite the success.

My understanding is that England were there to improve on their previous best performance i.e. third and that changed to matching their previous best when the yanks beat them and they failed to do that too.

My Ego forbids a signature.

Techno

Did anyone else think that VAR got it wrong for the 'handball' for the disallowed England 'goal' ? :-\
Thought it hit the lass on the chest....Not her upper arm.

Cheers