World Cup chat

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 07 June 2019, 08:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Techno on 09 June 2019, 03:30:34 PM

Hands up all those who remember the 'lace up balls'.....They used to soak up any moisture in the pitch, and ended up as heavy as a cannon ball.

Yup

And I still won a medal and a cup.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Techno

I think those cannon balls put me (almost) completely off ever heading the ball.

Cheers - Phil

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Westmarcher on 10 June 2019, 11:22:47 AM

;D ;D ;D

I remember these, also. I played football with these when I was a lad. If you headed the ball (especially if within the morass, Steve mentions), you not only got pile driven into the ground but, if you were unlucky, you would also have the mark of the lacing on your forehead.  ;D

As for the synthetic balls, Steve, I remember these were called MouldMasters(?). So true about being hit by the ball on a cold day!  :'(

Ahh yes, the mouldmaster, quickly classified under the Geneva convention, and replaced by something with an inert vinyl coating.

The advent of goalies gloves that resembled a knight's gauntlets coincided with the phasing out of the leather ball.
Sepp Maier of West Germany was wearing huge great gloves that wouldn't look out of place in a blacksmith's shop while plucky Brits were making do with thin cotton better suited to a butler handling his lordships silverware,
While a leather ball was quite pleasant to catch, the shiny surface on the synthetic balls was less forgiving on the hands, and slipped through more easily.
The latest footballs now have a double skin with a bouncy layer in between - really difficult to catch without latex palmed gloves.

Techno

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 11 June 2019, 01:07:50 AM
The latest footballs now have a double skin with a bouncy layer in between - really difficult to catch without latex palmed gloves.

Interesting......Didn't know that.  :)

Is that why the ball seems to 'swerve' so much more, from time to time ?

I wonder what a 'good' new football costs nowadays. (I'll go and look it up.)

Over £100 for a top notch one.  :o :o :o......Though there look to be 'decent' ones for around £10.....Which somehow sounds too cheap.  :-\

Cheers - Phil

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Techno on 11 June 2019, 08:09:49 AM

Over £100 for a top notch one.  :o :o :o......Though there look to be 'decent' ones for around £10.....Which somehow sounds too cheap.  :-

Cheers - Phil

Yup!!!

My second daughter is quite taken with the soccer and the world cup ball is quite spiffy!  My wife tried to find one for her and almost fainted at the £129RRP  :o
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

O Dinas Powys

Very proud of my second daughter: her school have taken to allowing national kits to be worn to school on match days during recent World Cups (definitely the soccer, can't remember about the rugby).

Nothing had been mentioned about it for this World Cup, so she asked her teacher to ask the head master and there was a whole assembly about it yesterday and it's being allowed - you have to choose a nation and you can wear the kit on the days they play.

Personally, I'm not at all keen on the policy, but if you're going to do it at least have equality  m/

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

paulr

Well done, that woman  =D> =D> =D>
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Kiwidave

The NZ girls managed to hold the European champions to 1-0; took them 92 minutes to score :)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48599571

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno on 11 June 2019, 08:09:49 AM

Over £100 for a top notch one.  :o :o :o......Though there look to be 'decent' ones for around £10.....Which somehow sounds too cheap.  :-

Cheers - Phil

I probably described it extremely badly.
The feel is a bit like foamboard - something spongy under the external layer.
The outside is far smoother than 2 decades ago, with an almost silky feel.
Tricky to catch with bare hands, but the  palms on the goalie gloves stick to it like blu-tak.

I think this is why they are now using 2 different grades of Latex - sticky stuff for the palms, and harder stuff for the punching areas.

lowlylowlycook

With these new rules about the goalie's feet actually touching the line when penalties are taken, I'm having a hard time calculating how long a shootout might take.    The combination of time spent on VAR and the huge disadvantage the goalies are dealing with might make for a "cricket like" experience.

Then again, maybe the North Korean referee will just call it over at 6-5 even though every penalty has been scored up to that point.

Techno

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 19 June 2019, 11:54:35 PM
With these new rules about the goalie's feet actually touching the line when penalties are taken, I'm having a hard time calculating how long a shootout might take.    The combination of time spent on VAR and the huge disadvantage the goalies are dealing with might make for a "cricket like" experience.

Totally agree !

It'll have to be  pretty rubbish spot kick to give the goalie any chance of saving it.

Cheers - Phil

Leman

How the heck did the the Scots manage that!  :'(
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 19 June 2019, 11:54:35 PM

Then again, maybe the North Korean referee will just call it over at 6-5 even though every penalty has been scored up to that point.

Somebody's bound to balloon one up into row Z.

lowlylowlycook

Apparently the Premier League has got out in front of this and said they will not be using VAR to monitor goalies during penalties.