World Cup chat

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 07 June 2019, 08:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

And just to confuse you all, the Women's World Cup in football started tonight.
;D
France look good already.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

I did spend 10 minutes wondering why Korea bothered fielding any defenders, but then one of them made a tackle.
All a bit one sided (as the early rounds of the men's football Cup often are).

Should be a lot better when it's down to the final 8 or 16.

Dave Fielder

I think this will be a good tournament to watch, the professionalism over recent years has become immense.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Techno

I'd second that, BIG TIME Dave.

I used to think the Sunday League side I played footy for DECADES ago, would have no problems with beating the then Womens' International teams......Based on highlights of a few games from that era.

If I could go back in time and play with the same team I used to, and take on one of the current sides........It would be a massacre, in favour of the ladies. X_X

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

There's one thing I need to check....

Is the football in the ladies' game the same weight as the 'normal' ball.  :-\

Hands up all those who remember the 'lace up balls'.....They used to soak up any moisture in the pitch, and ended up as heavy as a cannon ball.

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

What I know about football would fit on the front of a stamp and still leave room for the queen's head but a quick google suggests they are the same, Phil.

2019 Women's World Cup Ball

Name– Adidas Conext19

Size– 5

Weight– 400 to 450 grams

2018 FIFA World Cup Ball

Name– Adidas Telstar 18

Size- 5

Weight- 410–450 g

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

They can't half belt it then !!

Thanks, Mike.

Cheers - Phil

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno on 09 June 2019, 03:30:34 PM
There's one thing I need to check....

Is the football in the ladies' game the same weight as the 'normal' ball.  :-

Hands up all those who remember the 'lace up balls'.....They used to soak up any moisture in the pitch, and ended up as heavy as a cannon ball.

Cheers - Phil

I remember those.

Playing as goalie when it involved standing in a massive triangular swamp based on the goalposts and a point beyond the penalty spot.
Corner kicks were no longer a thing to fear, the ball rarely reached the penalty box.
If it did the oppositions flash-harry striker who'd tried a flying header was treated for concussion / whiplash / spinal compression.

There was also the famous penalty where the ball stuck in the mud and moved rather less than the centre-forward's ankle ligaments.

I also recall the first generation of synthetic replacement balls.
The ones the Brazilian national team impressed the world with may have been a better class than those that reached the Redbridge schools league.
Blocking a shot with the thigh or inner forearm on a cold day produced an effect like a Portuguese man o'war's sting.

Happy times, we made our own entertainment.
Some of us survived.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Me - I wuz alus sick or forgot me kit...boring tedious, pointless and for the lower orders.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 10 June 2019, 09:18:30 AM
Playing as goalie when it involved standing in a massive triangular swamp based on the goalposts and a point beyond the penalty spot.
Corner kicks were no longer a thing to fear, the ball rarely reached the penalty box.
If it did the oppositions flash-harry striker who'd tried a flying header was treated for concussion / whiplash / spinal compression.

There was also the famous penalty where the ball stuck in the mud and moved rather less than the centre-forward's ankle ligaments.

I also recall the first generation of synthetic replacement balls.
The ones the Brazilian national team impressed the world with may have been a better class than those that reached the Redbridge schools league.
Blocking a shot with the thigh or inner forearm on a cold day produced an effect like a Portuguese man o'war's sting.

Happy times, we made our own entertainment.
Some of us survived.

;D ;D ;D

I remember these, also. I played football with these when I was a lad. If you headed the ball (especially if within the morass, Steve mentions), you not only got pile driven into the ground but, if you were unlucky, you would also have the mark of the lacing on your forehead.  ;D

As for the synthetic balls, Steve, I remember these were called MouldMasters(?). So true about being hit by the ball on a cold day!  :'(
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Westmarcher

Just remembered. In the West of Scotland, we called this type of leather ball a 'cudger.' No doubt there were other names for this throughout the country - e.g., a 'casey' in central England?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

fsn

Think we called them a "lacey".
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Rugby in the winter, cricket in the summer and playing soccer on school grounds a disciplinary offence as in my first secondary school ... an excellent antidote to involvement in field sports for the rest of one's life :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data