Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
20 October 2019, 06:49:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We've released an excellent V1 Launch ramp!
285228 Posts in 16997 Topics by 2190 Members
Latest Member: psutcliffe
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Non-Wargaming Discussion
| |-+  Chat & News
| | |-+  Sport
| | | |-+  World Cup chat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World Cup chat  (Read 1519 times)
mad lemmey
Count

« on: 07 June 2019, 08:03:25 PM »

And just to confuse you all, the Women's World Cup in football started tonight.
 Grin
France look good already.

Chekov's Gun, Occam's Razor, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle walk into a bar. You won't believe what happens next!

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner 😎
steve_holmes_11
Captain

« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2019, 09:17:04 AM »

I did spend 10 minutes wondering why Korea bothered fielding any defenders, but then one of them made a tackle.
All a bit one sided (as the early rounds of the men's football Cup often are).

Should be a lot better when it's down to the final 8 or 16.
Dave Fielder
Lieutenant Colonel

"Chickens-R-Us"

« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2019, 01:05:10 PM »

I think this will be a good tournament to watch, the professionalism over recent years has become immense.

If you make a sandwich you will not be hungry.
Techno
Count

« Reply #3 on: 09 June 2019, 08:40:20 AM »

I'd second that, BIG TIME Dave.

I used to think the Sunday League side I played footy for DECADES ago, would have no problems with beating the then Womens' International teams......Based on highlights of a few games from that era.

If I could go back in time and play with the same team I used to, and take on one of the current sides........It would be a massacre, in favour of the ladies. I don't want to see

Cheers - Phil

FSN IS an oik...I wonder when he'll change his signature again . :-)
Techno....AND STILL.....The most picked on member of the forum since 2011
mad lemmey
Count

« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2019, 01:46:40 PM »

What a strike by Germany
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/48567670

Chekov's Gun, Occam's Razor, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle walk into a bar. You won't believe what happens next!

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner 😎
Techno
Count

« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2019, 03:30:34 PM »

There's one thing I need to check....

Is the football in the ladies' game the same weight as the 'normal' ball.  Undecided

Hands up all those who remember the 'lace up balls'.....They used to soak up any moisture in the pitch, and ended up as heavy as a cannon ball.

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel
Lieutenant General

« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2019, 05:47:08 PM »

What I know about football would fit on the front of a stamp and still leave room for the queen's head but a quick google suggests they are the same, Phil.

2019 Women’s World Cup Ball

Name– Adidas Conext19

Size– 5

Weight– 400 to 450 grams

2018 FIFA World Cup Ball

Name– Adidas Telstar 18

Size- 5

Weight- 410–450 g

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!
Techno
Count

« Reply #7 on: 10 June 2019, 07:01:06 AM »

They can't half belt it then !!

Thanks, Mike.

Cheers - Phil

steve_holmes_11
Captain

« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2019, 09:18:30 AM »

There's one thing I need to check....

Is the football in the ladies' game the same weight as the 'normal' ball.  :-

Hands up all those who remember the 'lace up balls'.....They used to soak up any moisture in the pitch, and ended up as heavy as a cannon ball.

Cheers - Phil

I remember those.

Playing as goalie when it involved standing in a massive triangular swamp based on the goalposts and a point beyond the penalty spot.
Corner kicks were no longer a thing to fear, the ball rarely reached the penalty box.
If it did the oppositions flash-harry striker who'd tried a flying header was treated for concussion / whiplash / spinal compression.

There was also the famous penalty where the ball stuck in the mud and moved rather less than the centre-forward's ankle ligaments.

I also recall the first generation of synthetic replacement balls.
The ones the Brazilian national team impressed the world with may have been a better class than those that reached the Redbridge schools league.
Blocking a shot with the thigh or inner forearm on a cold day produced an effect like a Portuguese man o'war's sting.

Happy times, we made our own entertainment.
Some of us survived.
ianrs54
Playtester
Lieutenant General

« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2019, 09:22:16 AM »

Me - I wuz alus sick or forgot me kit...boring tedious, pointless and for the lower orders.

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF HURRAY

Muppet of the year 2019
Westmarcher
Brigadier

Sir Oik of Westmarch

« Reply #10 on: 10 June 2019, 11:22:47 AM »

Playing as goalie when it involved standing in a massive triangular swamp based on the goalposts and a point beyond the penalty spot.
Corner kicks were no longer a thing to fear, the ball rarely reached the penalty box.
If it did the oppositions flash-harry striker who'd tried a flying header was treated for concussion / whiplash / spinal compression.

There was also the famous penalty where the ball stuck in the mud and moved rather less than the centre-forward's ankle ligaments.

I also recall the first generation of synthetic replacement balls.
The ones the Brazilian national team impressed the world with may have been a better class than those that reached the Redbridge schools league.
Blocking a shot with the thigh or inner forearm on a cold day produced an effect like a Portuguese man o'war's sting.

Happy times, we made our own entertainment.
Some of us survived.

Grin Grin Grin

I remember these, also. I played football with these when I was a lad. If you headed the ball (especially if within the morass, Steve mentions), you not only got pile driven into the ground but, if you were unlucky, you would also have the mark of the lacing on your forehead.  Grin

As for the synthetic balls, Steve, I remember these were called MouldMasters(?). So true about being hit by the ball on a cold day!  Cry

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Westmarcher
Brigadier

Sir Oik of Westmarch

« Reply #11 on: 10 June 2019, 12:37:35 PM »

Just remembered. In the West of Scotland, we called this type of leather ball a 'cudger.' No doubt there were other names for this throughout the country - e.g., a 'casey' in central England?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
mad lemmey
Count

« Reply #12 on: 10 June 2019, 01:00:00 PM »

Caser

fsn
General

« Reply #13 on: 10 June 2019, 01:23:03 PM »

Think we called them a "lacey".

Lord Oik of Runcorn
(You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013
Oik of the Year 2014
Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!

15mm is dead. It just doesn't know it yet.
Ithoriel
Lieutenant General

« Reply #14 on: 10 June 2019, 03:18:56 PM »

Rugby in the winter, cricket in the summer and playing soccer on school grounds a disciplinary offence as in my first secondary school ... an excellent antidote to involvement in field sports for the rest of one's life Smiley

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: