A Flippant History of the Crusades

Started by mmcv, 07 June 2019, 03:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

A new series I've started covering the history of the Crusades from start to when I lose interest. Hoping to do a number of series like this covering historical periods, will probably run one on the British Civil Wars alongside the Crusades ones initially, then branch out from there assuming I enjoy doing them enough!

https://mmcvhistory.home.blog/2019/06/07/a-flippant-history-of-the-crusades-prelude/

Bit of a rapid run through the few centuries preceding the Crusades. I'm not really one for trotting out lists of dates as I enjoy the overall story of the peoples and events more than the facts and figures, but I'll occasionally drop some dates in as anchor points for the story. There will hopefully be more posts to follow in the future.

Thoughts, insults, criticisms, comments on interest or disinterest level all more than welcome!

d_Guy

Good read. You made me think of Mr. Peabody. :-bd
Sleep with clean hands ...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

8th and 9th crusades please (mainly because they are hilarious)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

Quote from: d_Guy on 07 June 2019, 04:51:26 PM
Good read. You made me think of Mr. Peabody. :-bd

Glad you enjoyed it, I had to look up who Mr Peabody was, thanks... I think!

Quote from: mad lemmey on 07 June 2019, 06:23:05 PM
8th and 9th crusades please (mainly because they are hilarious)

I'll work through chronologically I think, I'm looking forward to the forth as much hilarity ensues there.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Nice one !!  :)

Like the 'lab'.

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Brilliant, but you forgot the devinely inspired goose!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

08 June 2019, 08:16:59 AM #7 Last Edit: 08 June 2019, 08:24:11 AM by FierceKitty
Quote from: mad lemmey on 08 June 2019, 08:03:35 AM

What a way to talk about St Bernard of Clairvaux. Just because he was a bit free in his interpretation of what "Love thy neighbour" implied....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

Puts a new meaning to a goosey gander.

I can't really tell if the tale of the goose and she-goat leading the people's crusade about is anything more than a disparaging rumour to show how ridiculous they were. Not that they needed such outlandish rumours to show their ridiculousness...

FierceKitty

Responsible historians also point out that most of the stories of the Children's Crusade stem from misreading the word pueri, which in classical Latin did mean children, but in medieval times was used disparagingly for social inferiors (like boy or girl in my own dear country in the unlamented days of the race Reich). Chroniclers were almost certainly refering to mass movement by the despised countryfolk, not to a Pied Piper phenomenon.

(next week: what's wrong with the Lady Godiva story)

sunjester

paulr

Quote from: mad lemmey on 08 June 2019, 08:03:35 AM
Quote from: mmcv on 08 June 2019, 08:34:23 AM
Puts a new meaning to a goosey gander.

I can't really tell if the tale of the goose and she-goat leading the people's crusade about is anything more than a disparaging rumour to show how ridiculous they were. Not that they needed such outlandish rumours to show their ridiculousness...

One of the Pilgrim  Hd S elements from my Early Crusader DBA army ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

lowlylowlycook

FierceKitty

Is that pilgrim element a bit of anti-Minbari propaganda?