Wargaming has become the dominant power in your mind if...

Started by FierceKitty, 06 June 2019, 11:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunjester

It's knowing what a Cullin hedgerow cutter is without resorting to google! :D

paulr

Quote from: mad lemmey on 06 June 2019, 05:03:15 PM
Daggnabit, I was going to correct item 2 about Hedgehogs too...

More an alternative meaning than a correction  ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

I work on the 7th Floor of Walker House in Liverpool. The companion building is Horton House. In the tunnels underneath is the HQ for the RN in the Battle of the Atlantic.

(Sounds of lightbulbs going off all round the Forum.*)

I got in the lift with the Chief Exec yesterday. He looked at me and said "You there! Peasant! Do you know why these buildings are called Walker and Horton?"  Well, 7 floors is just not long enough! I have a biography of Walker queued up on my Kindle.

*For those whose bent does not extend. I'm feel sorry for you. For those of you not into your WWII RN, Max Horton was the Admiral who was in command of great chunks of the UK response to the U-boat threat, and Johnnie Walker was somewhat of a fearsome U-boat killer.   
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

Quote from: fsn on 07 June 2019, 07:44:37 AM
I got in the lift with the Chief Exec yesterday. He looked at me and said "You there! Peasant! Do you know why these buildings are called Walker and Horton?"  Well, 7 floors is just not long enough! I have a biography of Walker queued up on my Kindle.

Careful there! CEOs ask questions like that to show how clever they are, not you.

fsn

Yeah. I know.   :(

But I'm such a wargamer that I just couldn't resist.

Then there were the videos that LindyBeige did from here ...

I was doomed from the start.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Dave Fielder

I knew a Colin Hedge-Cutter once, he was very incisive in a closed environment but slowed down in open country.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

T-Square

Your man cave has two 5x9 ping pong tables set up that have never been used for ping pong.   :D

flamingpig0

You have conversations with an old friend in Sainsbury about the rule for ship wrecked elephants in DBMM
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

steve_holmes_11

Country walks / bicycle rides are interrupted by pondering over visibility, lines of sight, terrain types and levels of cover.

FierceKitty

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 11 June 2019, 08:05:01 AM
You have conversations with an old friend in Sainsbury about the rule for ship wrecked elephants in DBMM

Only Ele (X) in the new edition. Others automatically convert to Kt (I) if shipwrecked, unless supported by Bw (S) or .....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

You friend boasts of having an eight incher and you immediately think "cruiser squadron".

FierceKitty

Well, I just feel that his wife settled for too little....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 11 June 2019, 08:06:41 AM
Country walks / bicycle rides are interrupted by pondering over visibility, lines of sight, terrain types and levels of cover.
I can empathise with that one as walking, including battlefield walking, is my other major hobby. I have also had that experience whilst travelling from Formby to Liverpool on Merseyrail. Behind Fort Crosby, just before Hall Road station, there is a wide expanse of farmland up towards Little Crosby and Blundell Hall - a marvellous field of fire if Jerry had landed on that part of the coast. It Reminds of the field of fire from St Marie aux Chenes to St.Privat (no idea how to get accents on this computer).
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Leman on 11 June 2019, 11:08:45 AM
I can empathise with that one as walking, including battlefield walking, is my other major hobby. I have also had that experience whilst travelling from Formby to Liverpool on Merseyrail. Behind Fort Crosby, just before Hall Road station, there is a wide expanse of farmland up towards Little Crosby and Blundell Hall - a marvellous field of fire if Jerry had landed on that part of the coast. It Reminds of the field of fire from St Marie aux Chenes to St.Privat (no idea how to get accents on this computer).
Håvíng wáłķĕď þhãț řøůțé ãț łěåšț ťwïćé, þhăț mú§þ bë ā həĺľ õf ă fïęłđ óf fįřë!

Enough accents?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner