D-Day 75th Anniversary

Started by Steve J, 06 June 2019, 06:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

It's hard to put into words my feelings on this day, but I have been somewhat emotional watching the coverage yesterday and this morning. All I can say is that their sacrifice will never be forgotten.

fsn

06 June 2019, 07:42:41 AM #1 Last Edit: 06 June 2019, 07:50:17 AM by fsn
I am with you.

I try at the same time to remember the "D-Day Dodgers" in Italy, and the "Forgotten Army" in the Far East; the humble Corvette still slogging it's way up to Murmansk, the clapped out Bombay aircraft still moving men and material between South Africa and the Middle East.

The entirity of the effort is exemplified in the celebrations of D-Day, but there is always what happened before. The BEF in 1940 in those awful Cruisers, the Prince of Wales and Repulse; Faith, Hope and Charity over Malta.

I alternate between cheering aloud and filling up. I cheered when I heard about two D-Day veterans who parachuted back into France yesterday, but as I think on, I can feel myself filling up.

It's at times like these that I wished I had a faith so I could say "God bless 'em." Perhaps those of you who are believers could do that for me?  
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Quote from: Steve J on 06 June 2019, 06:59:04 AM
It's hard to put into words my feelings on this day, but I have been somewhat emotional watching the coverage yesterday and this morning. All I can say is that their sacrifice will never be forgotten.

Definitely !

Cheers - Phil

pierre the shy

+ 2 to that......always think of my father on 6 June since he was there, not that he, like so many other veterans, ever talked much about his wartime experiences.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

FierceKitty

Quote from: fsn on 06 June 2019, 07:42:41 AM

It's at times like these that I wished I had a faith so I could say "God bless 'em." Perhaps those of you who are believers could do that for me?  

Remember them and think "Thank you" every time you notice how much better the world you're living in is because of what they did. I think that'll be acceptable to anyone listening in from Valhalla.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Raider4

I echo all the sentiments already expressed.

Quote from: fsn on 06 June 2019, 07:42:41 AM
. . . remember the "D-Day Dodgers" in Italy . . .

I only came across this phrase very recently. Made me so angry when I heard it. Still fuming, in fact. Disgraceful.

Sunray

Quote from: pierre the shy on 06 June 2019, 07:55:01 AM
+ 2 to that......always think of my father on 6 June since he was there, not that he, like so many other veterans, ever talked much about his wartime experiences.

We venerate them now as their numbers dwindle, and the episode passes from living memory into the pages of history.  I firmly believe that the greatest memorial and tribute to this unique generation came in 1948 with National Insurance/health service,  the National Education System to third level, and affordable Public housing with decent sanitation and electricity.

My late father never wore his medals or paraded much, and in the pre internet age had little contact with Western Desert comrades. (Most of his MEAF crew were Aussies.  I know now that  like many he suffered in silence with both the  "Survivor's Guilt" and PTSD.    In the wisdom of 1945, he counted himself as one of the lucky ones.

I sit down tomorrow morning with  colleagues/comrades from RBL and SSAFA - a growing case load of need- and, because of politics, no adequate delivery of the Armed Forces Covenant in N Ireland.    Not just from the grubby little war of Operation Banner, but the "kids" from Basra and Helman.  Wars which are now being dismissed as politically incorrect.

Many of this recent demographic reject all military trappings - the Services Club/RBL reeks too much of a Sergeant's Mess with its panelled walls and military memorabilia.  We need to change our remembrance  culture, more practical care, less militaristic pomp that glorifies carnage.

Apologies for the rant.  ...... But it helps.  

FierceKitty

Don't apologise for talking sense.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Westmarcher

A great debt is owed. A fantastic operation and crusade, indeed.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Norm

It is certainly a day for reflection and thankfully the event has widely struck an appropriate chord.

Sunray

If there was/is one positive thing that the WW2 generation gained from their experience, it was the collective sense of being part of something mega.

The comedian Spike Milligan summed it up succinctly in his book "Adolph Hitler - my part in his downfall" and how he responded to a "cunningly worded invitation to take part in World War II"   Not everyone appreciates the black humour.  But it gets you through.

"I suppose you know" said the senior Officer" that you are three months late arriving"

Milligan replied " I'll make up for it Sir, I will fight nights as well"  :)

Orcs

In Honour of those in Italy I Give you the squaddie's song that was their response to the supposed comment by Lady Astor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4hny_XRaw4

We're the D-Day Dodgers out in Italy
Always on the vino, always on the spree.
Eighth Army scroungers and their tanks
We live in Rome – among the Yanks.
We are the D-Day Dodgers, over here in Italy.

We landed at Salerno, a holiday with pay,
Jerry brought the band down to cheer us on our way
Showed us the sights and gave us tea,
We all sang songs, the beer was free.
We are the D-Day Dodgers, way out in Italy.[2]

The Volturno and Cassino were taken in our stride.[3]
We didn't have to fight there. We just went for the ride.
Anzio and Sangro were all forlorn.
We did not do a thing from dusk to dawn.[4]
For we are the D-Day Dodgers, over here in Italy.

On our way to Florence we had a lovely time.
We ran a bus to Rimini right through the Gothic Line.
On to Bologna we did go.
Then we went bathing in the Po.
For we are the D-Day Dodgers, over here in Italy.

Once we had a blue light that we were going home
Back to dear old Blighty, never more to roam.
Then somebody said in France you'll fight.
We said never mind, we'll just sit tight,
The windy D-Day Dodgers, out in Sunny Italy.

Now Lady Astor, get a load of this.
Don't stand up on a platform and talk a load of piss.
You're the nation's sweetheart, the nation's pride
We think your mouth's too bloody wide.
We are the D-Day Dodgers, in Sunny Italy.

When you look 'round the mountains, through the mud and rain
You'll find the crosses, some which bear no name.
Heartbreak, and toil and suffering gone
The boys beneath them slumber on
They were the D-Day Dodgers, who'll stay in Italy.[5]

So listen all you people, over land and foam
Even though we've parted, our hearts are close to home.
When we return we hope you'll say
"You did your little bit, though far away
All of the D-Day Dodgers, way out there in Italy."
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner