Snipers

Started by T13A, 02 June 2019, 04:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Hi

Just as a matter of interest what was the rationale for including 'snipers' in a set of rules where the basic infantry unit represents a platoon?
I could ask the same about all the new rules to do with 'Recce' but I wont go there!  ;)

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Big Insect

Hi Paul

Because it worked so well and was so easily understood in both CWC and FWC ....  :'(

Of course they do not have to be purchased or used ... that might make it simpler  ;D

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

T-Square

I enjoy using snipers.  They provide an additional "Ah, CRAP!" factor in the game.  Just suppress your buddies CO or an HQ and watch the look on his face.   ;D.   Of course in reverse ...   ...   ...  :'(

T13A

Hi

Having been in the 'CW' for real (part of the 1970's and the first half of the 80's in BAOR and then 33 years in the MoD) I think I might just pass on CWC!

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

BeeKiller

Can a sniper duel take place beyond the 20cm (untargetable sniper tag)?

T-Square

I would think not.  If you are using a scale of 1 cm = 20 meters that is a range of 400 meters.  Trying to locate a well hidden sniper team at that range or beyond would be very difficult.

Dr Dave

Quote from: T-Square on 09 December 2019, 01:54:57 AM
I would think not.  If you are using a scale of 1 cm = 20 meters that is a range of 400 meters.  Trying to locate a well hidden sniper team at that range or beyond would be very difficult.

It just seems like a waste of time in what is meant to be a bttn level game? The tail wagging the dog...  ;)

Big Insect

No ... pointless

The role of the Sniper in the game is to add 'discomfort' to enemy Command Units and cause delay and disorder.

They are a 'fun' element to smaller games.
Our experience is that in bigger games they get regularly overlooked or forgotten and also very often rapidly over-run.

For those players playing the game in larger scale (15/20/28mm) they appear to work well.

Thanks
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

mollinary

The Biscari massacre in Sicily in 1943 might give one pause for thought regarding the effectiveness of snipers, and the consequences.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Raider4

Quote from: BeeKiller on 08 December 2019, 07:33:25 PM
Can a sniper duel take place beyond the 20cm (untargetable sniper tag)?

If you want to re-play Enemy at the Gates I'd suggest a different ruleset than Blitzkrieg Commander.

BeeKiller

Thank you

So I'd assume the answer is no, though it is not that clear in the rules (so if you wanna fix it..)

Big Insect

Technically Snipers can shoot at any units on the table in LoS, LoF and range (20cm or under).
My initial reaction to the contrary is really because in reality shooting at another Sniper is a waste of your own Sniper.

You can only hit another Sniper on a 6 (on a single d:6 roll) and then all you'll do is suppress the other Sniper.
Admittedly that puts them out of action for a game turn, but unless you plan on shooting at the other sniper every game turn to keep it suppressed ultimately in a turn you will miss it and so it will either counter-fire or move off.

The only advantages I can see to Sniping at an enemy sniper are:
1). to stop it attempting to shoot at your units
2). to cause it to be suppressed and stationary so you can over-run it

It wont win you the game.
However, it might allow a formation to move if the enemy sniper is out of action so cannot suppress an enemy (your) CO or an HQ.

You are of course right, the rules do not prohibit a Sniper dual and they did happen historically, so you would be right in saying it is therefore allowable.
However, I think this is one of those situations where if your opponent agrees or in a scenario it would be acceptable. So more of an optional rule than a baked-in full rules action.

It's hard for a set of rules to second-guess everything gamers might want to do with it and attempt to prohibit everything that might go against the spirit of the game/rules.

Cheers
Mark

Shedman

Quote from: Big Insect on 21 December 2019, 09:41:32 PM
It's hard for a set of rules to second-guess everything gamers might want to do with it and attempt to prohibit everything that might go against the spirit of the game/rules.

Reminds me of the Young Ones sketch

Mike: Maybe you shouldn't have poured all of that washing-up liquid into it.

Vyvyan: It says here "ensure machine is clean and free from dust"!

Mike: Yeah, but it don't say "ensure machine is full of washing-up liquid"!

Vyvyan: Yeah, but it doesn't say "ensure machine isn't full of washing-up liquid"!

Mike: Well, it wouldn't would it? I mean, it doesn't say "ensure you don't chop up your video machine with an axe, put all the bits in a plastic bag and bung them down the lavatory!"

Vyvyan: Doesn't it? Well maybe that's where we're going wrong!

See https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5nf2qx from 06:40 onwards

Big Insect

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Clarification:
Of course, Snipers have a 50cm range but cannot see another Sniper over 20cm so cannot target them.

Merry Christmas all