The joy of painting Pendraken

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 June 2019, 06:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

During this time, I have finished 4 fantasy 10mm, nearly finished 80+ other 10mm, and got a significant way into 100+ 15mm Samurai for a commission. This will all put her significantly past the 1000 figure mark for the year, and I have just realised I hadn't actually painted any Pendraken since March (And that was only a Dragon, the last significant amount before that was early February(!))
The 10mm have been an absolute joy. A lot of them I've had sitting round for years, some almost 10 years, but now I've committed to getting them done, it feels GREAT!

I'm sorry I've not done more this year tbh.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

01 June 2019, 09:00:31 PM #1 Last Edit: 01 June 2019, 09:02:40 PM by mad lemmey
This time being the lovely three hours painting time I got away with this fine and sunny day.
And I don't count Graham's Swiss, although Pendraken, as painting for me.
Must have mislaid that first sentence somewhere...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

I'm currently painting some Naval Brigade as a landing party for WWII, and some War of the Roses billmen.

Last week I rebased my first efforts: 1940's German armour.

Every one a gem.

One of the reasons I look forward to Flodden is the new figures!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Pierre the Shy's Scots are a mix of Pendraken and 'another' I am enjoying painting all of them:) :) :)
But I definitely find the Pendraken figures more of a joy to paint :) :) :) :) :)
The crispness of the detail and the style of poses just seems to make them easier to paint
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

I think my next Pendraken paint will be the FoGR core Early Henrician army, then send it to France to fight my mates Frenchies - he is dying to get his newly painted landsknechts in French service troops into action. The furioso project is likely to take until Christmas, so I may give myself a break and have a bit of Basic Impetus 2 and FoGR action.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

petercooman

I need to get started on my roman infantry! Have painted a lot of pendraken already this year though!

Leman

Been on another forum where people have complained about 10mm being too small for them to paint as they are now 'too old' - I'm 66 with glaucoma and still painting 2mm and 3mm! I think it's just an excuse.

Westmarcher

Yeah, but look at the results.  ;D  ;)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Westmarcher

When I started painting Pendraken, I wore my glasses. I later started to struggle slightly until I got varifocals. After a few years, I then found I had to take my glasses off and hold the figure really close to me to see it better. I now find myself trying to take off the glasses that I have already taken off, to see the figure better. ;D :-[

But it has to be said, this is the same for the 15mm figures I also paint so it's not really anything to do with the scale. I probably just need new glasses!

I'm still managing to paint figures (e.g., last weekend, I finally managed to complete a dismounted dragoon unit I started a year ago - no! I'm not that slow!   ;D  ) but must confess, my output is away down from earlier years and now restrict my painting to "mini-projects" (like the dragoons last weekend and some baggage wagons the previous weekend). These "mini-projects" usually only take a weekend - small bites, I suppose - still satisfying and helped by the fact, not too onerous.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

I wear prescription reading glasses when painting, varifocals when playing.

Techno

I'll have to use my optivisor.....if I ever get a chance to get the paints out, again.

Cheers - Phil

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Leman on 04 June 2019, 08:19:10 AM
Been on another forum where people have complained about 10mm being too small for them to paint as they are now 'too old' - I'm 66 with glaucoma and still painting 2mm and 3mm! I think it's just an excuse.

I was making similar complaints on this forum at the turn of the year.
Looking back at some of the 15mms I has painted at the time I was dead right.

Then the band of brothers here pointed me in the direction of optivisors, and suddenly I was back in business.
A few new brushes from everybody's favourite dealer at the Carronade show, and I'm producing figures I'm proud of.

Thanks to all here who encouraged and nagged me to stop making excuses and use available technology to battle father time.
Similar thanks to those who helped me in the direction of magnetic basing for storage.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno on 04 June 2019, 07:50:46 PM
I'll have to use my optivisor.....if I ever get a chance to get the paints out, again.

Cheers - Phil

Also saves poking yourself in the eye with the bald end of a paintbrush.

Techno

Or in my case, Steve...The blunt end of the wax 5 !  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil