German assault boats

Started by Jim Ando, 01 June 2019, 11:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Ando

Hi
Can any one help wit a photo or description of both codes for the German assault boats.
I'm wanting to use them for a market garden type river crossing. I understand they will look nothing like the canvas ones as depicted in a bridge too far. But they'll have to do.
Cheers
Jim

fred.

I've got GR187 the assault boasts. These are typical rubber dingys kind of oval donut style.

This kind of thing, perhaps not quite as big.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Jim Ando

They will do nicely. Cheers

Sunray

Jim, are you talking about the light German "assault" craft know as the Sturmboot ? Or to give it the correct title Leichtens Sturmboot  (le Stubo) 39.

These were not inflatables.  Rather a light wooden hull with metal ribs and a very powerful 30 HP 170ks engine.   They were used by the assault pioneers and transported x 3 on a special trailer "a 108".  At the FUP they were manhandled by the 6/8 crew to the water.

Up until the 1980s the Austrian Army used something very similar.  There was an on steroids version ...know as the Gross Sturmboot.

If you google the German title you will get a shed full of images.  Hope this is useful.  :)

James 

Ithoriel

If we're talking Arnhem style I'd assumed he was looking for a stand in for the Allied version.

So, something like this

In which case, the German assault boats that Pendraken do are a very, very rough stand in. That said, I've happily used far less convincing alternatives in my time :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Jim Ando

I'll have to make do. They'll get blown out the water anyway. A representation will do.

Jim.

fsn

What about the pontoons from the pontoon bridge?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

Quote from: fsn on 01 June 2019, 08:50:19 PM
What about the pontoons from the pontoon bridge?

Inspired Nobby !  Yes, the Pendraken pontoons are not far off in design/size to the Arnhem assault boats used by Robert Redford et al.    In the case of the Polish Airborne it is more dingy type (where they airdropped with them?) - As the point made above, it depends on the nation fielding them as to the design.