Thank you, whoever you are.

Started by fsn, 01 June 2019, 07:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

01 June 2019, 07:15:32 AM Last Edit: 01 June 2019, 07:20:26 AM by fsn
Gentlemen of the Forum,

I have, not for the first time, been the target of unwarranted kindness.

Return home last night, I had two packages.

The first was from Techno - for which many thanks. Made me smile.  :)

The other was from Pendraken. Since I was expecting a package of bases, its small size was something of a disappointment. However, imagine my surprise in finding it contained a set of flags for Flodden. My first thought was naturally that the Dark Lord was using his eldritch powers to divine and preempt my purchasing. However my supplication to his Saturnine Majesty speedily disabused me of the notion.

Apparently, some kind member of the forum is tipping me towards my next project. For that, anonymous Sir, I thank you. I am touched.

Flodden is going to be my next campaign. I'm at the research phase and both enjoying the study and downcast by the result. The bright side is, of course, that I can perhaps redress the balance on the table.

The paraphrase Jimmy Durante: thank you kind Sir, wherever you are. 

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Hi Nobby....

Glad you liked the McKilty clan, Matey.

Cheers - Phil

Leman

There really are some marvellous folk on the forum. Here's an idea for you Nobby; you could always build a French army as well and stage the other part of the campaign, i.e. Henry's invasion of France. This provides the opportunity for lots of gendarmes and Henry's use of landsknechts. Just a thought.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 01 June 2019, 07:32:36 AM
Glad you liked the McKilty clan, Matey.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Quote from: Leman on 01 June 2019, 10:04:56 AM
There really are some marvellous folk on the forum. Here's an idea for you Nobby; you could always build a French army as well and stage the other part of the campaign, i.e. Henry's invasion of France. This provides the opportunity for lots of gendarmes and Henry's use of landsknechts. Just a thought.
Get thee behind me, Leman. After Flodden, I'm thinking about the Covenanters.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

d_Guy

Here is a group of Flodden enthusiasts, https://m.facebook.com/Flodden1513/
Perhaps they heard of your budding interest and struck unexpectedly like the Spanish Inquisition?

Btw - I STILL can't find the bag of bl**dy oxen to photograph.

Leman - I like the idea of doing Henry's portion of 1513 - have a couple bags of landsknechts - likely with the oxen.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fsn

You're a feeder d_Guy!  ;)

I'm up that way next this month. May pop over and see what's what.  :)

All in the interests of research!

Leman

It really is a superb battlefield to visit. It is extremely well preserved, with a self-guided walking route around the main part of the actual battlefield. However the battlefield is on Branxton hill. Flodden hill is a little further south and it is possible to walk around to the SE side of it to find the original site of the Scottish gun platforms, as James believed the English army would attack his uphill entrenched army. Luckily Surrey and the Admiral were able to see 'it's a trap!' (shamelessly copied by George Lucas in Star Wars E6) close to the gun platforms you can also find the well which servicesed the Scottish camp. Back in Branxton, the muddy ditch at the foot of the hill. where James died, is still very much there.

This gives a good impression of the steepness of Branxton Hill

Typical info board on the self-guided tour

The muddy dip at the bottom of the hill where James died; Scots to the left and English to the right

An exhibit in Etal Castle, about two miles from the battlefield

d_Guy

Thanks, Leman, interesting stuff. The Two Men in a Trench vid is useful as well. It was in a dry season and,iirc, the trench area appeared dry but after trodding over it a few times, people started breaking through into mud. They conjectured that the leading rank of the Scottish pikes got across then everything collapsed - treacherous ground.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Techno

Nice pics, Andy. :)

That's not giant hogweed on the right of the third  pic, is it ?  :-\

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Techno on 02 June 2019, 07:34:58 AM

That's not giant hogweed on the right of the third  pic, is it ?  :-

Cheers - Phil

Na  a Triffid, thought they wuz native to Sarth Wales !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Nope, just your common or garden hedgerow stuff.