Redoubt built using rubberised planking

Started by Norm, 31 May 2019, 03:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

From the bits I bought earlier in the week from the rail model shop ... the first redoubt is built.

Link

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2019/05/redoubt-no-1.html

lowlylowlycook

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Interesting project, Norm. I'm thinking to make gun platforms for Flodden period artillery. You provided a blueprint!
Sleep with clean hands ...

jambo1

Techno

Impressive work, Norm !!  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Slightly disappointed. Thought that the rubberised planking was a C19 technology for making cannon balls bounce off the redoubt.  :-[

Once I got over that, I'm impressed with the result.  :D
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Nobby.......You're an oik !! ;)

Cheers - Phil

fred.

That's a nicely done project, and a very good write up to show us all how easy it would be to make one ourselves.

Did you use the Ronseal wood filler straight onto the plastic card? I've just based up some houses on some big bits of plastic card, and I am wondering what to use to stick some texture on them?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Westmarcher

Quote from: fsn on 01 June 2019, 07:59:03 AM
Slightly disappointed. Thought that the rubberised planking was a C19 technology for making cannon balls bounce off the redoubt. 

;D  Me, too! Turns out the product is "Retaining Wall" in strips of flexible vinyl moulded with a wood planking effect. I wonder if the small size would be suitable for 10mm? Here's a direct link to the product page, itself. http://www.choochenterprises.com/Nwalls.html  I've used matchsticks in the past to obtain this kind of wooden retaining wall effect but nowhere near as neat. Very effective and, together with all of the other materials used, a great end result, Norm.  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fred.

I think the small size would be ok for 10mm. Looking at the picture when you click through and it shows you and actual sized 1" sample, it looks reasonable size for 10mm.

I have some plastic sheets of bricks, stones and wood that are N scale model railway sized, and these are very fine in their detail, often a bit smaller than what is seen on wargames stuff (which varies hugely)
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

sunjester

It looks very good to me, is it available in the UK I wonder?

fsn

I'm not as daft as I thought. Just watching a video on USS Galena (Ironclad ACW) which had a rubber layer!

:D
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!