World Cup chat

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 30 May 2019, 06:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elliesdad

Well done England. It was a mighty close run thing, eventually decided in a "super over".

Much respect to the Black Caps too. They were very, very unlucky. They did New Zealand proud.

Geoff

Duke Speedy of Leighton

NZ should have won that, but what an ending! Wow! 😎
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Both the tennis and the cricket were amazing finals. We kept flicking between both. Felt really sorry for NZ who would/should have won if it hadn't have been for the Stoke's bat incident.

O Dinas Powys

That was a bit tense!!!  X_X

I think after the super-over was tied they should have come back tomorrow for an additional 10 overs  :-\  ;)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

jimduncanuk

The Kiwi's were robbed, they only lost 8 wickets to Englands 10.
My Ego forbids a signature.

paulr

That does seem a more logical tie breaker ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

What a magnificent game, with stunning performances all round!  For once, fate seemed to have decided to be on England's side, but that did not take away from the splendid Kiwi side. Once upon a time I seem to recall a "tie" was only if both sides had also lost the same number of wickets (is this really true?) which would have complicated England's decision making process somewhat in the last two balls of the main game! The Kiwis should take a bow for playing out of their skins, and for the way they accepted a most cruel and bizarre turn of fate. Surely the strangest six ever scored?
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Stokes, to his credit, asked for those runs to be disallowed, but was overruled.

Just Google Stokes on Twitter, some brilliant comments.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

If he said that, fair play to him as truly in the spirit of the game.

Techno

Quote from: mad lemmey on 14 July 2019, 08:04:54 PM
NZ should have won that, but what an ending! Wow! 😎

Agreed.....Shame the trophy couldn't have been shared.

Quote from: Steve J on 14 July 2019, 08:27:50 PM
Both the tennis and the cricket were amazing finals. We kept flicking between both. Felt really sorry for NZ who would/should have won if it hadn't have been for the Stoke's bat incident.

I was constantly changing channels too, Steve.....Also felt really sorry for NZ....and that nice Mr Federer.

Cheers - Phil

Sandinista

Great match, followed by probably my least productive day at work ever  :)

Cheers
Ian

Raider4

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 14 July 2019, 09:04:57 PM
The Kiwi's were robbed, they only lost 8 wickets to Englands 10.

This.

Sandinista

Perhaps, but not to the rules of the tournament.

Here in NZ many Black Caps fans at work were whinging worse than the Aussies usually do  ;D

Cheers
Ian

Techno

Quote from: Sandinista on 15 July 2019, 10:40:52 AM

Here in NZ many Black Caps fans at work were whinging worse than the Aussies usually do  ;D

I don't think I could blame them, in the slightest, Ian.

Cheers - Phil

Matt J

Awesome game, a credit to both teams.

Just like to say the Kiwis handled themselves exemplary and if we had of lost I couldn't think of a better team to lose to, always play fair, always play hard, credit to their nation.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep