World Cup chat

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 30 May 2019, 06:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 08 June 2019, 09:14:41 AM
Except a fielder's helmet (Unless they've revised that recently).

Is that even if it's on his head? I knew that discarded bits of equipment can be an issue, and you certainly can't use your hat/cap as a method of catching the ball. Not that I'm sure this would help (as an aside many years ago I was in the USA for a summer, and played a lot of softball - I was given a catchers mitt, it really took a lot of getting used to. It would cause disbelief form the Americans when I was under a high ball, and I would throw off the mitt to take the catch bare handed, as that felt much more comfortable. After a while the mitt felt it was useful, but more I think for picking up low balls than for catching)

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 08 June 2019, 09:23:42 AM
That'll explain why chaps of my age would take a catch and hurl it skyward by way of celebration (to catch again) while barking "Owzaaat!!"..
It would indeed.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: fred. on 08 June 2019, 09:29:03 AM
Is that even if it's on his head? I knew that discarded bits of equipment can be an issue, and you certainly can't use your hat/cap as a method of catching the ball. Not that I'm sure this would help (as an aside many years ago I was in the USA for a summer, and played a lot of softball - I was given a catchers mitt, it really took a lot of getting used to. It would cause disbelief form the Americans when I was under a high ball, and I would throw off the mitt to take the catch bare handed, as that felt much more comfortable. After a while the mitt felt it was useful, but more I think for picking up low balls than for catching)
It would indeed.

Especially if the helmet is on the fielder's head.

If the ball strikes a helmet that's laying on the ground it's 5 runs, the rules that was originally developed to prevent Victorian cads form catching the ball in their top hats.

The deflection from the fielder's worn helmet (pardon if my memory plays tricks here), seems to have been added to the laws along these lines.
1. The helmet produces an unnatural bounce compared to a deflection off the body.
2. We don't want the spectacle of heavily armoured fielders crowding the bat with the express intention of acting as human blockhouses.

Which takes me back to the days of 'proper' Yorkshireman Brian Close.

"I'll get ion at short square leg, they'll have a lap (sweep), and I'll be there for the catch".
"What if it hits your head?"
"Mind you catch the rebound".

steve_holmes_11

A bit of solid tap from England today against the graveyard of empires.

In which our Irish expat skipper broke the record for most sixes in an international innings.

I recommend the televised highlights.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Just watched, I say...
Good catch by the wikky too.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Do you think England can sort out theJapanese this time round without any own goals? No comments on placing guns in only one direction, thank you.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Depends, are Japan in the cricket world cup?

Ithoriel

Quote from: mad lemmey on 19 June 2019, 12:43:08 PM
Depends, are Japan in the cricket world cup?

Nope. But it doesn't matter because cricket is so dull nobody watches it. :P

Women's Football on the other hand is very popular .... in some quarters at least. :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

Quote from: Ithoriel on 19 June 2019, 01:00:05 PM
Nope. But it doesn't matter because cricket is so dull nobody watches it. :P

Or, nobody watches it because it's not on free-to-air telly?

(actually I love Test cricket, but couldn't give two hoots about the one day stuff. Still not paying the Sky tax though. Test Match Special for me)

Matt J

QuoteNope. But it doesn't matter because cricket is so dull nobody watches it.

you didn't catch Morgan's inning yesterday then... that was entertainment!
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Ithoriel

Quote from: Ithoriel on 19 June 2019, 01:00:05 PM
Nope. But it doesn't matter because cricket is so dull only nobodies watch it. :P

FIFM

:P :P :P :P :D :D :D :D

Seriously, if cricket floats your boat more power to your elbow but for me, I'd sooner watch a bird bath evaporate.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Done that...Got the tee-shirt...Until I used some milliput to seal the crack. (It was the MIL's birdbath.)

The joys of the different putties I use. :-*

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 19 June 2019, 03:52:29 PM
The joys of the different putties I use. :-*

You put bandages around your ankles?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Quote from: Matt J on 19 June 2019, 03:15:43 PM
you didn't catch Morgan's inning yesterday then... that was entertainment!
Not really - it was against Afghanistan. Any other performance against such opposition would have been ridiculous. However, they could just as easily have been playing St Elizabeth's primary first eleven. And I agree, it is a bit dull. Rather like watching (rather than playing) a wargame.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

pierre the shy

The Aussies were a bit too good for the Kiwis in today's game - and they didn't bowl any underarm deliveries  :o  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.