World Cup chat

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 30 May 2019, 06:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Okay, how the holy funt did England win that today!!!
:o

;D

🏏
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

Solid batting, some very fast bowling, and some SUPERB fielding!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

That catch was impressive, but after the inevitable collapse...
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

Pressure in the right places.

I had the radio on while I was painting  a batch of goblins.
My own feeling was that they had not batted well and come up 30-60 runs short, with S.A. bowling some tricky stuff.

With hindsight, following the advice of experts of the radio, the batting was a well judged response to a tricky pitch.
They say, the England of 18 months ago would have set a "par" and collapsed chasing it.
The current lot kept a realistic view of possible score with a view to pitch conditions and wickets down.

When England Bowled, they first exerted pressure with some excellent fielding, then grabbed wickets regularly enough to stop South Africa's chase.

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

I was wondering, as well !! (Then I saw 'The catch' mentioned)....I must go and find a clip of that.

Cheers - Phil

steve_holmes_11

They always look more impressive if you start off in the wrong position and then try to make the catch with the wrong hand.

Even so, a spectacular piece of fielding, and unlikely to be the last one in the tournament.

Techno

Having seen the catch......That was damn impressive (possibly a  shade on the fortunate side ?)

Looked more like a footy keeper trying to 'push the ball over the bar'...But it stuck....Good for Mr Stokes. :)

Cheers - Phil.

jimduncanuk

Heaven help us if they win it ...
My Ego forbids a signature.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

England - WIN ??? Rule is England loses again, thats another win for the UK, so that the minor peripheral nations can claim some of the credit..... :D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Well...The England team do represent England & Wales, don't they ?  :-\

Though I can't remember when the team last contained anyone Welsh.

Cheers - Phil

Raider4

Quote from: ianrs54 on 01 June 2019, 07:01:10 AM
England - WIN ??? Rule is England loses again, thats another win for the UK, so that the minor peripheral nations can claim some of the credit..... :D

It's actually the team of the England & Wales cricket board, but no one calls them England & Wales. Scotland & Ireland do have their own separate teams.

But . . .

The current England captain is actually Irish, and under the rules of cricket - and it looks like the same rules apply to rugby - it sometimes seems like anyone can play for any country. A few years ago England could have been called South Africa (North).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Windies fair demolished Pakistan

Techno

Quote from: Raider4 on 01 June 2019, 08:40:47 AM
It's actually the team of the England & Wales cricket board, but no one calls them England & Wales. Scotland & Ireland do have their own separate teams.

- it sometimes seems like anyone can play for any country.

This is VERY true.  ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno on 01 June 2019, 07:38:25 AM
Well...The England team do represent England & Wales, don't they ?  :-

Though I can't remember when the team last contained anyone Welsh.

Cheers - Phil

The one that springs to mind if Geraint Jones MBE who played around the 2005 Ashes Era along with the likes of Freddie Flintoff.
He took the catch that won the Edgbaston test by 2 runs.
Later held the record of most test innings without a duck.