World Cup chat

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 30 May 2019, 06:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlylowlycook

Guys, I don't know what you are on about. 

The World Cup (that we yanks can win not to mention qualify for) starts tomorrow.

FierceKitty

It's some sort of game, I believe,
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: mad lemmey on 06 June 2019, 10:32:18 PM
I know the Windies lost today, but wow, that was some catch!

Better than Stokes in my opinion.

Very strong showing form Australia though.
Batting recovery brought them back from the dead, and then they bowled a very tight set to win the game.
It all bodes well for them as the tournament goes on.

Techno

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 06 June 2019, 11:04:34 PM
Guys, I don't know what you are on about. 

The World Cup (that we yanks can win not to mention qualify for) starts tomorrow.

Cricket, Cookie.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

fred.

Quote from: mad lemmey on 06 June 2019, 10:32:18 PM
I know the Windies lost today, but wow, that was some catch!

It was indeed! And made me wonder what the rule / law is for a catch? Was it a catch when he took it one handed over the boundary, or only after he flicked it up, ran around the boundary 'rope' and caught it again? Superb athleticism and thinking whichever way.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Matt J

if he'd have fallen over the boundary (or even touched the rope) holding the ball it would have been a 6.

The ball can hit/ricochet off any number of things before being caught as long as it doesn't hit the ground.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Techno

Only if he had his feet grounded when he took the catch, Forbes....If he's done it outside the rope with his feet in contact with the ground, it would have been a 6.

Saw something similar on the net from a few years ago.

Batsman hit the ball over the boundary rope.

Fielder was positioned OVER the rope....So he jumped in the air, so his feet weren't in contact with the ground, outside the field of play..... (He was beyond the boundary.)
He swatted the ball, while his feet weren't in contact with the ground, OUTSIDE the rope.

The 'pat' took the ball into the field of play.....So he could then catch the ball inside the field of play....and it didn't matter where he took the catch.....as long he was inside the field of play, at that point.

Cheers - Ted Dexter. ;)

fred.

Thanks both. I think it's the both feet grounded bit I wasn't aware of. I.e. when is a catch complete. And with the initial catch he only has one foot on the ground as he is running. Therefore the need for the acrobatics.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

O Dinas Powys

07 June 2019, 05:15:21 PM #38 Last Edit: 07 June 2019, 05:16:56 PM by O Dinas Powys
Quote from: fred. on 07 June 2019, 04:50:48 PM
Thanks both. I think it's the both feet grounded bit I wasn't aware of. I.e. when is a catch complete. And with the initial catch he only has one foot on the ground as he is running. Therefore the need for the acrobatics.

For a catch to be completed the fielder needs control of the ball, before it hits the ground, within the field of play.  Doesn't matter how many feet are in contact with the ground (flat on the back with no feet on the ground is fine  ;) )

On avoiding the six thing, the fielder must have jumped from the field of play.  A fielder can't launch themself from beyond the boundary rope to take a catch.

As was said, you will occasionally see a fielder take a catch sprinting full-speed towards the boundary, toss the ball back into the air, run over the rope and then back into the field of play before completing the catch or for another fielder to take it.
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Techno

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 07 June 2019, 05:15:21 PM
For a catch to be completed the fielder needs control of the ball, before it hits the ground, within the field of play.  Doesn't matter how many feet are in contact with the ground (flat on the back with no feet on the ground is fine  ;) )

On avoiding the six thing, the fielder must have jumped from the field of play.  A fielder can't launch themself from beyond the boundary rope to take a catch.

As was said, you will occasionally see a fielder take a catch sprinting full-speed towards the boundary, toss the ball back into the air, run over the rope and then back into the field of play before completing the catch or for another fielder to take it.

As Meirion says, Forbes.....Within the field of play.

Cheers - Phil

fred.

Absolutely - I knew that any touch of the player with the boundary (or beyond) counts as runs. The bit I was unsure of, is what counts as a completed catch.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Matt J on 07 June 2019, 03:28:46 PM
if he'd have fallen over the boundary (or even touched the rope) holding the ball it would have been a 6.

The ball can hit/ricochet off any number of things before being caught as long as it doesn't hit the ground.

Except a fielder's helmet (Unless they've revised that recently).

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: fred. on 07 June 2019, 07:08:15 PM
Absolutely - I knew that any touch of the player with the boundary (or beyond) counts as runs. The bit I was unsure of, is what counts as a completed catch.

Interesting titbit from Wikipedia:
Before 2000, the Laws of Cricket defined a catch as being completed when the player had "complete control over the further disposal of the ball". In the very strictest sense, this meant that the player did not finish catching the ball until he threw it away, though the player doesn't have to throw the ball to anyone in particular in so doing.
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: fred. on 07 June 2019, 01:16:41 PM
It was indeed! And made me wonder what the rule / law is for a catch? Was it a catch when he took it one handed over the boundary, or only after he flicked it up, ran around the boundary 'rope' and caught it again? Superb athleticism and thinking whichever way.

Catcher has to have the ball under control and be stood in the field of play.

In this case he felt he was in danger of leaving the field with the ball, so flipped it up.
The catch was completed at the second grab.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 08 June 2019, 09:15:23 AM
Interesting titbit from Wikipedia:
Before 2000, the Laws of Cricket defined a catch as being completed when the player had "complete control over the further disposal of the ball". In the very strictest sense, this meant that the player did not finish catching the ball until he threw it away, though the player doesn't have to throw the ball to anyone in particular in so doing.

That'll explain why chaps of my age would take a catch and hurl it skyward by way of celebration (to catch again) while barking "Owzaaat!!".

Those modern types prefer to strut around showing the ball to every cameraman in the ground.