World Cup chat

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 07 June 2019, 08:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Techno on 07 July 2019, 08:03:56 AM
Did anyone else think that VAR got it wrong for the 'handball' for the disallowed England 'goal' ? :-
Thought it hit the lass on the chest....Not her upper arm.

Cheers

It clearly hit her bust and her arm.
My Ego forbids a signature.

O Dinas Powys

Two simple rule changes would solve most of these issues and then VAR could get on with the properly important jobs it does in rugby league and rugby union of looking for foul play and deciding if the ball has crossed the line:

• Get rid off the offside rule: they did it in hockey and after a brief period of adjustment everyone got on fine with it.

• Revert to a modified version of the 1871 pre-schism rules allowing for the handling of the ball.  
    (Personally I'd be happy if the then extant hacking and tripping rules were also reintroduced, but that's mainly because I have a dark sense of humour  :d)  
    Rather than go the full hog of allowing outfield players to freely handle/carry/run with the ball, permit players to touch/control the ball with their arms and hands.

Both of these changes would obviously effect the game profoundly, but probably in a less deleterious way than VAR is doing AND the rules would then again be the same at all levels of the sport, which I believe was FIFA's main objection to VAR for years...

Cheers!

Meirion

(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )