Battle of not-Gaugamela

Started by FierceKitty, 29 May 2019, 04:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

I have to make yet another plea informed by complete ignorance, which side is which?

I know that everyone knows at a glance, but not me.
Referring to the first picture, "The Big Picture", I thought the Persians were on the right (they have lots of hoplite mercenaries and a chariot) and the Macedonians on the left (lots of pikes). In studying the rest of the pictures I became confused.

As your description unfolded I wanted to throw my considerable psychic reinforcement to Lee (as I always do) but I am now concerned it was drastically misapplied.     

I always enjoy your pictures because the sun yellow sand fields are so bright and cheery!
Sleep with clean hands ...

FierceKitty

You have it right, but the Persians were wrapping around and behind the Macedonian left wing by the end.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

Lulling you into a false sense of security so she'll have you exactly where she wants you!

Congratulations on your victory  ;D

FierceKitty

She'll demand a rematch shortly.

d_Guy

Quote from: FierceKitty on 29 May 2019, 06:51:07 PM
You have it right, but the Persians were wrapping around and behind the Macedonian left wing by the end.

Thanks, have it sorted. All I know about Not-Gaugamela is from the movie Not-Alexander.

FierceKitty

Plutarch's life of Alexander is a good read.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Plutarch%27s_Lives_(Clough)/Life_of_Alexander

FierceKitty

FierceKitty

Great and good is Ahura-Mazda!

d_Guy

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: FierceKitty on 09 July 2019, 12:16:12 PM
Great and good is Ahura-Mazda!

Means all EAP battles were well illuminated, have a god who is a light bulb.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Persian chariots for once do something; an off-table flank march in just the right place. Note the prodromoi on the dune were taken in flank, though they've turned in disorder.

FierceKitty

I've been warning Lee that her refused flank tactics were going to get her into trouble if she didn't keep a bit of a reserve....

In fairness, she had lousy control rolls and some of her support troops didn't see much action. On the other hand, the constant drizzle crippled my archery.

FierceKitty

The Macedonian centre was more successful (though by the time this picture was taken Alexander and the Hetairoi were out of it). Darius is rallying the guards near the rear (they rallied, but did little more in the game), and the phalanx that broke them is trying a repeat trick, turning the flank of the second regiment. My Indian archers charged the Agrianian peltasts, but these evaded and caused unwelcome casualties with javelins as they ran. A small price to pay (the loss of three out of five Skythian auxilliary regiments and Prince Viljarides was more painful). Both armies made it through their first morale check (Lee seems to have noticed that an occupied built-up area boosts an army's staying power), but the second was too much for the Europeans.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!