Mounting Example & Deploy Special Ability

Started by AJ at the Bank, 27 May 2019, 05:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ at the Bank

Couple of questions on these rules please (p34 and p76 respectively)

(1) Mounting Example : Is this example to be re-done please?
I think you have said already that it is the intention that Deployment should work as -
Order 1: move (transport and passenger/tow)
Order 2: deploy (within 5cm of transport)
Order 3: fire or move etc.

Clearly the example doesn't work like that. Plus - dont think the Pak 35/36 AT unit has the Deploy ability in the German lists

(2) Given the above - Is the Deploy ability redundant ?

Many thanks
A

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Big Insect

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

AJ at the Bank

Thanks Mark -

Have I understood right that deployment should work as -

Order 1: move (transport and passenger/tow)
Order 2: deploy (within 5cm of transport)
Order 3: fire or move etc.

...and maybe a few units (e.g. Inf on Motorbikes) don't have to follow this - but that is by exception only?

Thanks again
Adam

Big Insect

Yes Adam - Motorbikes and bicycles were considered to be exceptions - it was beaten to death in the play-testing and this was the consensus view.

Personally I'd have had all transport requiring a mount and dismount order ... as I do not like exceptions ... but it is what it is  :'(
There will be tears before bedtime
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

AJ at the Bank

Dr Dave

Quote from: Big Insect on 29 May 2019, 03:49:07 PM
...I'd have had all transport requiring a mount and dismount order

I agree with you.  ;)

Risaldar Singh

Quote from: Dr Dave on 29 May 2019, 07:34:45 PM
I agree with you.  ;)
Ditto, I agree wiith BI here. I'm a sucker for consistency.  ;)

AJ at the Bank

Me too.

Who from the Playtesters could explain why these units should be an exception please?

Anyone ...anyone?

;)

Big Insect

There is no need to explain

It is simple

If you play in 2mm, 3mm or 6mm and even in 10mm - some players do not use dismounts for motorcycle and bicycles mounted troops.

If you want to play it that you use a deploy order to mount or dismount, that is entirely up to you  :)

AJ at the Bank

Don't use motorcycle and bicycle dismounted 2mm models..What??    :o

Risaldar Singh

Quote from: Big Insect on 02 June 2019, 04:57:09 PM
If you play in 2mm, 3mm or 6mm and even in 10mm - some players do not use dismounts for motorcycle and bicycles mounted troops.

So those playing in scales where having an alternate dismounted base is cheapest and easiest then.  ;) ;D

sediment

Bearing in mind the length of a game turn (30 minutes or so), how long does it take for a platoon of men to jump from their truck/s and form up as a unit?  I'd be surprised if it took more than 5 minutes, 10 at most even in WW2.  Similarly, stopping a motorcycle or push bike would take seconds, although to form up as an effective unit might take a few minutes.  Personally, I'd say that a deploy order for any infantry is entirely unnecessary - as long as the truck stops, the infantry should be free to carry out an action in the next order.  Happy to be proved otherwise, but we've all seen the videos of troops leaping from FV432s, M113s, BTRs and BMPs ready for action in seconds - they don't seem to be hanging around having a fag or making tea for half an hour before getting on with the war.  Different for an emplaced unit like an AT or AAA gun, which needs time to set up, sight in, level up, deploy ammunition and make a cup of tea, but infantry wouldn't need that amount of time.  Happy to hear from any old soldiers on their experience of deploying from a truck or apc and getting into action.  As an aside, weren't panzergrenadiers trained to dismount during the assault, at least until hand held AT weapons made them too vulnerable?

Just a thought.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Panzer Grenadiers and US Armoured Infantry were normally expected to dismount, not fight from their vehicles. A grenades in the back of an open 1/2 track would be rather discouraging. It was only done against very light opposition.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

"Titus! Get me within 10 yards of that Elephant!"

"Marcus! Covering fire!"

"The rest of you! I want you out and turning that beast into elephant burgers before Titus gets this thing completely stopped!"

"Chaaaarge!!!"

:D :D :D

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data