Water Obstacles

Started by AJ at the Bank, 27 May 2019, 04:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ at the Bank

Clarification on this rule on p34 please -

Looks like this rule is a lift from BKCII - but does it now only apply for units without the Amphibious Special Ability - and units with that ability use the appropriate rule on p76?

Thanks

A
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Big Insect

Sorry - I don't understand the question?

P34 is clear. Amphibious vehicles, infantry and engineers in assault boats can cross water obstacles.
Amphibious vehicles are classified in the army lists (no different from BCKII).
An assault boat is actually a transport with Aquatic capabilities.

I see no need to change this. Am I missing something here?
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I hope the assault boat has aquatic only capabilities, - 70's British Army ones were da*med heavy !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

AJ at the Bank

Thanks Mark -

Apologies ...I was not being clear.

Rule on p34 states "Separate orders must be issued to enter and exit each water obstacle and all troops move at 5cm per action when in water."

Amphibious Special Ability allows units to treat as Open Terrain for movement

(1) Are there any units that can cross water obstacles - but do not have the Amphibious ability please?
E.g. Does any unit have to be issued separate orders and only move 5cm?

(2) Do Amphibious units move only 5cm per action or their listed Move rate please (e.g. DUKW 20cm)?

Many thanks

Big Insect

The 5cm move restriction was intended to apply to wading shallow rivers and streams by units and troops that are not equipped to be fully amphibious.

We'll pick that up in the errata. Your DUCKW will traverse the water at it's actual speed - but must stop to enter the water obstacle - so cannot move (for example - it cannot move 10cm to a river, them move 10cm across the river, within a single turn.)

Thanks
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

AJ at the Bank

Thanks Mark

oh right - I just read the '..treat as Open Terrain' as meaning nothing causes me to stop cause its open.

Helpful clarification indeed!

Big Insect

This is because a lot of so called amphibious vehicles need some element of preparation to go amphibious - there will be exceptions - but its a general rule.
Also most crews are more cautious about just flinging their vehicle into unknown water than we might imagine!

AJ at the Bank

Thanks Mark - Understood.
Closed

Dr Dave

Quote from: ianrs54 on 29 May 2019, 08:06:31 AM
I hope the assault boat has aquatic only capabilities, - 70's British Army ones were da*med heavy !

Ian, were the aquatic assets "dam" heavy? Dam heavy... dam.  ;D ;D ;D

I'm hear all week. Try the fish.

Coat please.