Starting Warband for 2 Players!

Started by Jamsus, 27 May 2019, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamsus

Hello everyone.

It is now official that my bloodveins are in frenzy for 10mm wargaming in general (and smaller).

After my order for BKCIV i want to order some natural 10mm fantasy stuff. I really liked Warband, (i tested it bunch of times using 10x5 bases with paper token before buying stuff), seems cool and "light" to play and the rules are very well written and suitable for some home-made changes (plus the author is a very kind fella).

What is my battle plan? Where i live (Italy-Florence) 10mm gaming basically doesnt exists, if not in some historical club, so the idea is to attract players in my den.

To do that, i need 2 armies. I'm pretty fast to paint so i'm not scared by the task.

The question after this long premise is: what armies and what pieces to buy?

I was thinking about

DWARVES

UNDEADS

The reason is first of all because i like the models of both armies, a lot. And then the battle could "attract" other players to the table (diorama 10x5 bases for dwarves are beatiful, and fog-swamp style undead ones too)

But, i played just a bit of warband, so maybe those two armies are too slow to make an appealing match, from the game perspective

What suggestion do you have?

DWARVES - DARK ELVES?

LIZARDMEN?

Thanks a lot

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I would look at different playing styles. Dwarves are slow, but very solid. Undead are brittle, as they never rally from a rout,  it's your Lord who is your main combat force.

The Taurian starter set is brilliant, small, fast moving, heavy hitting, with a good variety of troops,  but once it goes wrong you end up in trouble.
High Elves are another good starter, flexible with lots of interesting upgrades. Dark elves are similar.
Orc/Goblin are another classic, which delivers a hard first impact, but needs support to last in combat, but you will always outnumber your opponents.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Jamsus

That is a solid argumentation.

I could opt for Dwarves & Dark Elves at the end. I'm sitting on Dwarves just because models are really beatiful & in the idea of making other players curious of the game dwarves are a good hook from Warhammer & similar worlds.

I'll dig a bit more in Taurians, thanks!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Jamsus

I think i read your blog since before you even started it  ;D really cool

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Fenton

Haven't played warband but I have painted some orcs and there lovely figures and quick to paint
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Jamsus

Thanks everyone for suggestion. I placed a pretty big order for Hill Dwarves & Dark Elves at the end, with all that i needed for playing those two armies as i prefer (and all the addictional stuff, dice frames, 1d4 houses & stuff)

This will be a long painting summer  :d

Techno

I'm not sure if I've ever said "Welcome to the Forum,"....J....

Forgive me if I haven't....I'm a bit late (and daft) !!

Cheers - Phil.

Jamsus

Haha, don't worry - i've been invited to forum by Leon (registration is disabled) and i started asking for BKCIV & Warband, basically - i didnt even presented my self in the appropriate section (which i will do right now)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Techno on 28 May 2019, 12:09:18 PM
I'm not sure if I've ever said "Welcome to the Forum,"....J....

Forgive me if I haven't....I'm a bit late .

Late as in the Late Techno ;) - and likewise for me, hi

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Welcome on-board Jamsus

I favor an Orc army - the Shaman is a super weapon and the range and diversity of troop types allows you to play very different game styles.
I also have a Barbarian army - woolly mammoths, fierce charging cavalry and conan the barbarian type infantry ... great fun
But both of these are in 25mm and 15mm respectively

I've just bought a Samurai Ape army from Pendraken to get myself a 10mm force as well.

Whatever army you pick, it will be addictive and you'll soon want more

Happy Gaming
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Jamsus

Nice, for sure Orcs will be one of the future armies.

After Dwarfs & Dark Elves i'll probably go for Taurians, Undead or Orcs. Let's see.

For now i've set up a fake table with paper scenic elements and the 10x5 bases with the units attached on them just to test some more gameplay ^_^

Jamsus

Miniatures from the order arrived two days ago, today i finally found the time to open them.

I play & paint miniatures since i was 12 (now 32) and i'm really impressed by the quality. Whao.

Soon some pictures of the 2 commander bases + 2 mage bases! (dark elves & dwarves)