Reconnaissance - Q1

Started by AJ at the Bank, 26 May 2019, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ at the Bank

Clarification query on Communication section of Reconnaissance (p29/30) please -

(1) Final paragraph on bottom of p29 says "If the Reece unit is attached to a specific formation, it can choose to communicate with any of the individual Command Units within that formation (CO,HQ,FAO,FAC) regardless of their proximity"

(2) Top of p30 says "However, if the receiving Command Unit is outside the Reece's formation (assuming fixed formation are being used), then the Command Unit will need to pass a (nominal) Command roll to receive the communication."

(3) 2nd paragraph then says "...where fixed formations are not being used, treat all Command Units as being within the formation for all friendly Reece, but it is the nearest Command Unit that will receive the +1 CV value."

If I understand the mandatory rules correctly - Reece Units must be attached to a formation - so (per point 1 above) - can choose which Command Unit to communicate with regardless of proximity.
But - point (3) indicates that when using mandatory rules only ...it is the nearest Command that will receieve a +1 CV value.

Q1 : Which of the above is correct please - or am I reading this all wrong?
Q2 : When 2nd paragraph (point 2) refers to "...nearest Command Unit that will receive the +1 CV value" -  does this mean the nearest Command will receive the Communication (either +1CV OR can see concealed / out of LoS enemy unit, which can now be targeted by fire) please?
Q3 : Ref point 2 above - Why does it matter if Fixed Formations (FF) are/are not being used please? I understand that in FF, no Reece is part of a formation....but does this mean that if not playing FF - then still need to make a nominal Command roll?
Q4 : Is the nominal Command Roll the Reece Communication roll (with Modifiers) per tables on p30 ...and is not a test against a unit CV value please?

Many thanks
A
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Big Insect

Reply in bold

Clarification query on Communication section of Reconnaissance (p29/30) please -

(1) Final paragraph on bottom of p29 says "If the Reece unit is attached to a specific formation, it can choose to communicate with any of the individual Command Units within that formation (CO,HQ,FAO,FAC) regardless of their proximity"
This applies in games where fixed formations are being used - there is no restriction on which Commander is affected as long as they are within the formation

(2) Top of p30 says "However, if the receiving Command Unit is outside the Recce's formation (assuming fixed formation are being used), then the Command Unit will need to pass a (nominal) Command roll to receive the communication."

So in a game were there are a number of HQs commanding formations, a Recce unit is allocated to a specific formation (I assign mine to a specific HQ). However, there might be a situation where a player wants to try to use their Recce to boost another formations Commander - maybe their FAO etc. Another option is to place all Recce under the Command of a CO and use them to boost any of the other Commanders that are in their own fixed formations

(3) 2nd paragraph then says "...where fixed formations are not being used, treat all Command Units as being within the formation for all friendly Recce, but it is the nearest Command Unit that will receive the +1 CV value."
As it states - this applies if you are not playing Fixed Formations - so there is no (nominal) Command roll to be passed in this situation, but it is the nearest Commander that gets the +1

If I understand the mandatory rules correctly - Recce Units must be attached to a formation (only in a Fixed Formation game) - so (per point 1 above) - can choose which Command Unit to communicate with regardless of proximity (within that Formation). But - point (3) indicates that when using mandatory rules only ...it is the nearest Command that will receive a +1 CV value.

Q1 : Which of the above is correct please - or am I reading this all wrong? Both are correct
Q2 : When 2nd paragraph (point 2) refers to "...nearest Command Unit that will receive the +1 CV value" -  does this mean the nearest Command will receive the Communication (either +1CV OR can see concealed / out of LoS enemy unit, which can now be targeted by fire) please? Yes
Q3 : Ref point 2 above - Why does it matter if Fixed Formations (FF) are/are not being used please? I understand that in FF, no Recce is part of a formation (incorrect & the opposite - in a Fixed Formation game all Recce must be part of some formation or other - even if they are under the direct command of the CO)....but does this mean that if not playing FF - then still need to make a nominal Command roll? (No ... but they are restricted to upgrading the nearest Command unit)
Q4 : Is the nominal Command Roll the Recce Communication roll (with Modifiers) per tables on p30 ...and is not a test against a unit CV value please? (Not sure I understand. A nominal Command roll is where the Commander (CV8 for example) just rolls 2 d:6 if they score 8 or below they pass and 9 or above they fail. It is just a mechanism.)

Many thanks (no problem ... it is a difficult concept to grasp but becomes 2nd nature with play)
A
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

AJ at the Bank

Thanks Mark

Without going through the rest for a minute -    I now see the main issue on why Im a bit lost  - its about when Reece are attached to a Formation.
Im confused with rules on units going into Formations and the clarification reply here - sorry if being thick - can you help with a bit more clarification please? -

E.g. When you reply with ...
"If I understand the mandatory rules correctly - Recce Units must be attached to a formation (only in a Fixed Formation game) - so (per point 1 above) - can choose which Command Unit to communicate with regardless of proximity (within that Formation)." and
"(incorrect & the opposite - in a Fixed Formation game all Recce must be part of some formation or other - even if they are under the direct command of the CO)"

(1) I believe the Book rule says (p58 - Deployment) "...each unit must be included in a single formation." - This is what to apply when not using Optional rule Fixed Formations (FF). So Reece would go in a formation. This rule has changed from BKCII...when Reece (and others) were not assigned to formations
(2) The FF rule states that Snipers, Reece and FAOs/FACs are not assigned to a formation.

Are these rules meant to be reversed or something?

Finally - can I just check .....no more than one Command Unit (either CO or HQ) per Formation still right?
Thansk again
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Big Insect

It is complex.
Here goes:

You can play the game 2 ways:

1). All units start the game within a Fixed Formation - that includes Recce (your point about Recce and FAOs and FACs is a good spot - in a FF game they must be included in a formation - that also applies to Snipers - although it makes no difference as Snipers cannot be effected by Recce and are Independant unit so have unlimited Initiative distance and no distance penalties for a commanded order.

2). You are not playing Fixed Formations - so no units are in Fixed formations and any unit can be ordered by any HQ or CO.

In 1).
Recce must be allocated to a Formation under the control of the CO or an HQ - in this instance its actions can effect any Command unit (or units - depending upon which action it is undertaking) that start off within that Formation.
However they can potentially effect other Command units outside their own formation if a nominal Command roll is passed.
An example of how this might occur is if all of a Battlegroup's 3 Recce units were deployed in a Formation but commanded by the CO but with 2 FAOs in that formation as well. A not uncommon circumstance as it means each FAO and the CO can potentially benefit from the positive outcomes from the Recce actions exclusively.
However, a situation arises where the CO wants to boost a local HQ by using one of the Recce to do so, but a nominal Command roll must be passed to allow that to happen.

in 2). The Recce are "free range" they can influence any Command unit, as long as it has not already been influenced and also long as it is the nearest Command unit to that Recce. It's to stop a Recce unit on one side of a 6 feet table adding a plus one etc to an FAO on the far side of the table (6 feet away).

Yes ... you cannot have more than 1 Command unit (CO or HQ) in a Fixed Formation.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.