Air Support - Scheduled Strikes No AA

Started by AJ at the Bank, 26 May 2019, 12:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ at the Bank

May I please ask why the p16 rule on Scheduled Strikes not subject to AA fire?

Bombers and Ground-Attack Air units in Requested Air Cover may be subject to enemy AA fire .....why same units not subject to AA when Scheduled please (particularly with auto target hit in Scheduled) ?

Must be something to do with game balance I guess? Were people seeing Air as too ineffective due to AA fire?

Thanks
Adam
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

fred.

We were surprised at this too. Seems an odd exception
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Dr Dave

I think it's a error / typo. The notion that the enemy wont shoot at certain planes because he knows how they arrived over the front is a bit... well...   ;D

Big Insect

OK folks - please do not automatically assume it is an error  :D

There is an issue here around Strategic Bombing and AA.
This came up with the play-testing and got batted around all over the place, both for and against with good arguments by both sides.

Just how high up is that Flying Fortress flying when it drops it's bombs? !!!
Does a small battle group have large caliber AA support to fend off even a medium altitude attack? 

Have a mull ...
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Dr Dave

Good point, I was assuming GA like 109s and Stukas, not He111.

Only dedicated AA units (not HQs etc) can engage "bombers"? And then they have to be > 25mm (?) - gives Jerry a reason for the 37mm and the Brits etc to have Bofors?

An 88 in game terms is NOT an AA system - wrong sights, wrong ammo... 88's in AA role are for shooting at B17s and Halifaxs - which are NOT in the game.

my 2p

fred.

In our game it was Stukas that as scheduled couldn't be shot at,  but when called in could be shot at.

I get the point about bombers. And perhaps that is the difference. Scheduled bombers either can't be shot at, or only by dedicated AA.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Dr Dave

It's more the altitude as opposed to when or how they arrive. GA is low, bombers are high.

If HQ AA is units MGs then I'd ignore it vs bombers. Even 20 mm fire won't be much use above a few thousand feet.

AJ at the Bank

There is an issue here around Strategic Bombing and AA.

Interesting debate perhaps on the difference with firing AA at Strategic bombing rather than non-Strategic bombing ....however ....

The current rule As Is doesn't seem to make any sense ...that the same AA units can fire at Requested enemy aircraft - but they cannot fire at the same aircraft (inc. AIR:GA) when they are flying in the Scheduled Phase.

IMO - Either scrap this rule ...or if its something to do with AIR:BM ...come up with something not too detailed that makes a distinction between AA impacting AIR:GA and AIR:BM.
Persoanlly I like Dr Dave's idea about only being able to fire at AIR:BM with ART:AA units - although acknowledging that this does make AIR:BM units tougher.

A

Big Insect

Again - the same bombers can fly at different heights and in different tactical roles. Adding extra complexity around which aircraft can and cannot fly Scheduled Missions and which AA calibres can or cannot shoot at strategic bombing runs - is also to be avoided.

The rule is that air attacks in the Scheduled Phase are not subject to AA, for a good reason.

Again, if you want to create your own house rule Adam, by all means please do so.

many thanks

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

AJ at the Bank

Thanks Mark

That's what I am trying to understand - what's the 'good reason'.
E.g. Good reason why AIR:GA cant be shot at in Scheduled?

I genuinely too thought it must be an error - sorry

Big Insect

This is because it was felt that they were considered to be flying too high for most AA guns on table.

They are, however, subject to standard Air Superiority attacks - which also includes AA fire as well as fighter interdiction.

However, if you want to subject them to AA fire, please be my guest  :) but the rule stands as it is. It is not an error, but a deliberate decision.

Thanks
Mark

AJ at the Bank

Thanks for clarifying Scheduled still subject to Air Superiority (AA + fighter) attacks
I would not have thought about that one!
Best
A

Risaldar Singh

Three points:
1. Medium bomber attacks (He 111, Ju 88, B-25s, B-26s, A-20s, etc) which made up the overwhelming majority of ground support were made at low level, higher altitude bombing was only used against area targets (i.e. cities). Making all bombers immune to AA fire (since they can only carry out scheduled strikes) is a very broad brush indeed.
2. Just how many times were Flying Fortresses and Halifaxes used for ground attacks in WW2? And how many of these attacks were actually directed at frontline positions?
3. The point about "strategic bombing" might be valid if strategic bombers were considered at any point in the rules. They are not. The only AIR:BM units listed are medium bombers. See point 2 above.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Halifaxes - almost never, by 44 almost of bomber command was flying Lancasters. As to frequency from May to August 44 8th Airforce and Bomber Command were subordinated to the army for support. It was mostly on interdiction targets (rail and road junctions outside the battle area). However - Goodwood, Cobra, Caen, and Villers Bocage all involved heavy bombers. They were also used during the Walceran Battle.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Dr Dave

27 May 2019, 10:35:52 AM #14 Last Edit: 27 May 2019, 10:46:28 AM by Dr Dave
Ok, so there's an issue surrounding what AA can fire at what bombers at what height - keeping in mind we are talking about He111 and Ju88 types - I'm not convinced how effective HQ MGs could effect bombers flying at perhaps several 1000 feet.

But no AA vs scheduled air attacks!  :o

So a scheduled Me110 cannot be targeted by AA, but a requested one can be shot at. It's the same aircraft, same height, same AA, same payload, perhaps even the same target! That makes no sense at all. Do the AA stand by and ignore it?  :'(