Cruel Seas DIY

Started by Wulf, 26 May 2019, 11:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

9 hours of printing, and ready for a few introductory scenarios...

Techno

Look damn fine, to me.  :-bd

I've probably....(i.e....almost certainly X_X)...misunderstood the '9 hours printing'.

It didn't take  9 hours to actually print the wee ships, did it ?
I assume part (a lot) of that time was involved in 'getting everything set up'.

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Nice stuff, course they'll never float !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Wulf

Wulf

Quote from: Techno on 26 May 2019, 11:48:50 AM
Look damn fine, to me.  :-bd

I've probably....(i.e....almost certainly X_X)...misunderstood the '9 hours printing'.

It didn't take  9 hours to actually print the wee ships, did it ?
I assume part (a lot) of that time was involved in 'getting everything set up'.
It did take 9 hours to print this lot - the pic shows them still on the printer, before I removed them, this lot were all printed as one. I let the printer run overnight, so I only saw the first hour or so, enough to leave me confident it would work. Although it does take a long time to set up & refine the printer settings, this lot only took about 15 minutes to get started on my 'standard' detail settings.

There are still issues - if you look carefully you'll see the edges of 'walls' (vertical surfaces) showing gaps between layers. That's damned annoying, and every time I try to fix it, something else goes wrong!

Techno

Stroll on !!

That seems like an awfully long time.  :o

Cheers - Phil

Wulf

26 May 2019, 05:05:53 PM #6 Last Edit: 26 May 2019, 05:11:01 PM by Wulf
Quote from: Techno on 26 May 2019, 01:25:59 PM
Stroll on !!

That seems like an awfully long time.  :o
It is. You can speed up the printing to reduce time, but that causes vibration & reduces detail accuracy. And potentially dislodges the models altogether!

3d printing is SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWW

But faster than mail order...

p.s. I'm currently printing an SU-85, T-34 m1942 & StuG IIIg for the ongoing What a Tanker campaign. I already have them all in metal, but I'm testing the printed ones out for paint adhesion - they don't suffer from chips & worn paint as much. They'll take about 7 hours, about what I expect, 2 hours+ per tank. Then I have a 9 hour Cruel Seas print for a few more boats that'll run overnight & while I'm at work...

sunjester

Looking like a good start Wulf.

Wulf

Quote from: sunjester on 26 May 2019, 10:31:14 PM
Looking like a good start Wulf.
Tonight I intend to start off another print with 2 more Vosper MTBs (4-torp versions), 2 more S-Boats (2 weapon station versions), an armed trawler, a sinking Vosper & S-boat, a half dozen triple mine counters, a couple of liferaft markers, a whole load of various deck guns and uncle Tom Cobbley and all...

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Wulf on 26 May 2019, 05:05:53 PM
It is. You can speed up the printing to reduce time, but that causes vibration & reduces detail accuracy. And potentially dislodges the models altogether!

3d printing is SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWW

But faster than mail order...

p.s. I'm currently printing an SU-85, T-34 m1942 & StuG IIIg for the ongoing What a Tanker campaign. I already have them all in metal, but I'm testing the printed ones out for paint adhesion - they don't suffer from chips & worn paint as much. They'll take about 7 hours, about what I expect, 2 hours+ per tank. Then I have a 9 hour Cruel Seas print for a few more boats that'll run overnight & while I'm at work...

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a Transit Van full of little boats.

toxicpixie

They're cracking. For the hobbyist I reckon 3d printing, even with that print speed, is spot on.

I need a proper shed and about ten grand for "important stuff to fiddle with" like a 3d printer, and then a Lottery Jackpot so I can quit work and be a gentleman-wargamer :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Raider4

Quote from: toxicpixie on 29 May 2019, 09:13:33 AM

. . .and then a Lottery Jackpot so I can quit work and be a gentleman-wargamer :D

Now that is something to aspire to!

But I'd have enter the lottery !!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

Actually, so would I, I haven't played since the BKC forum syndicate days!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting