WW2 ANZAC troops - Operation Mercury

Started by Sunray, 24 May 2019, 08:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

This is not a request.  More an opinion poll.  The family visited Crete a few months ago on a winter break, and I revelled in the WW2 history of the island.  The Crete people are justly proud of their spirited resistance against the Nazis.

The German invasion - especially the airborne element - was a close run thing.  Even with depleted logistics (left behind on mainland Greece) the Aussie and New Zealanders gave a much vaunted German paras a bloody nose. The Greek units and cadets fought with reckless gallantry.

Never again did the German airborne deploy a combat jump.  See the trailer video for "the 11th Day" on You Tube

The set piece battles like the Maleme airfield are easy to translate to a board.

Now: - Would there be a demand for a small range of ANZAC troops in campaign hats and the odd tin helmet ?- have a look at Plastic Soldier Review , Revell WW2 Australian infantry  02501 - and you will get the flavour of the figures.  The Revell sculpts do reflect the uniforms/kit quite accurately.   In addition to Crete these figures would also serve in Tobruk/early Western Desert - as research shows the 8th Army were not all in Bombay Bloomers.

Rumour Control (the Ultra of the Pendraken Forum) indicates that Techno is (like Dobby the house elf) "free at last" to sculpt WW2  :)

pierre the shy

+1

fighting through Greece and Crete with these guys plus the hodge podge of British, other Commonweath and Greek units against various German outfits in company sized actions would be good.....even got TFL's Greece suppliment for IABSM somewhere on my PC.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Techno

Hmmmm.... :)

If Leon fancies those, and there's a demand for them, I'm up for that.  :-bd

(Though, that's once my finger has stopped bleeding......I found a new way of injuring myself this morning.....I needed to make some ultra tiny 'circles' in the putty....Normal way of doing this is to get out one of the 'de-sharpened' hypodermic syringes, that I blagged off the vets YONKS ago, and press that into the putty once that's started to cure.
The finest 'needle' that I usually use looked a smidgeon to big.....So a quick look in one of my 'useful' boxes revealed a brand new (still wrapped) smaller gauge needle.....Huzzah !!

Right then...time to grind the sharp point away.....Reached over to get the carborundum disc, and stuck the now unwrapped needle into a digit.....Didn't even feel it !
You wouldn't believe how much such a tiny hole could bleed......Another one of Mark's plasters bit the dust.  :D)

Cheers - Dobby. X_X

Matt J

Hang on, hang on....!

I've got a bunch of Arab Isreali AFV's needing some infantry support first!  Before Phil goes wandering off to Crete  ;)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Sunray

Quote from: Matt J on 24 May 2019, 10:53:35 AM
Hang on, hang on....!

Before Phil goes wandering off to Crete  ;)

Wandering off to Crete....yes, that sounds a reasonable expense in Wargames research.  Help Techno recover from self inflicted injury.

The Revell plastics have 13 poses.  Take out the "silly" and you are left with say - 2 advancing - 2 firing - 1 tommygun - one bren advancing/ one firing and  2 command = 9 figures . Add rest from existing Brits. - Dump in German paras and game on.

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: Sunray on 24 May 2019, 11:24:40 AM
Wandering off to Crete....yes, that sounds a reasonable expense in Wargames research.  Help Techno recover from self inflicted injury.

The Revell plastics have 13 poses.  Take out the "silly" and you are left with say - 2 advancing - 2 firing - 1 tommygun - one bren advancing/ one firing and  2 command = 9 figures . Add rest from existing Brits. - Dump in German paras and game on.

Talk about serendipity, I'm currently reading Beevor's book on Crete:-

What about the British troops in Slouch hat BRF19-21, couldn't they be used in a pinch? I know that in my myopic state that anything at more than arm's length suffices  :D :D

Wasn't there some 8th army in greatcoat or am I dreaming awake again?? You could probably smuggle in some BEF as well.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

John Cook

The campaign hat doesn't seem to have been very typical in combat.  Most Kiwis in Greece, Crete and N Africa are photographed in helmets or side hats, even tropical helmets are more common than the campaign hat.

paulr

The lemon squeezer, as most Kiwi would refer to the campaign hat, was more for parades and formal occasions and possibly leave than battle
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Looks like helmets all the way. Either the desert or BEF ranges would cover Crete.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

Quote from: fsn on 26 May 2019, 07:47:22 AM

Looks like helmets all the way. Either the desert or BEF ranges would cover Crete.

That's what I used but I would like a model of the bloke in those trousers - fifth in the row, top right photo.

fsn

Yes. He does look like he's in the wrong queue.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Dr Dave

I don't think he's a New Zealander?

He, and several of his chums, look to be Gurkhas.

fsn

The caption said Maori.

"Maori troops line up on the quayside at Alexandria in Egypt following their evacuation from Crete"

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/what-was-the-battle-of-crete

Dr Dave

It wouldn't be the first time that a museum has incorrectly captioned a picture. I don't think they'd be playing for the All Blacks, but I could be wrong....

fsn