Photobucket.

Started by Techno, 23 May 2019, 07:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Well, Gang.

It would appear from the 'missive' I received from photobucket this fair morn, that we'll be losing a lot of images on the forum....AGAIN.

I've only got a few dozen pics in my PB folder....But I'm apparently using more 'bandwidth' per month, than I'm allowed to, unless I give them a few dollars from the 1st of June.
Seeing as I only share images on our esteemed forum...

They can bog off.  ;)

What was that other site ? Imgur....Or sommat like that ?

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Still around as far as I know....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

Imgur and Flickr seem to be ones people use a lot. I've used Imgur a couple of times and works well enough for sharing.

I'm not sure what image sharing sites have against vowels in their names though.

FierceKitty

Ever tried to learn Czech?

Prd krt skrz drn, zprv zhlt hrst zrn is a real sentence!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

I've dropped out of all those sites now. I find it easier to take a photo on my phone, put it on my facebook page and then post it from there. I accept no friends on facebook other than relatives and a few select club members. The only other sites I use are Liverpool War-games Association and Alternative Armies. This keeps things nice and simple and uncluttered, but then I can live happily without other people being constantly in my pocket. Here's one I did earlier of a 15mm Romandiole pike block for Impetus2 (2 blocks can be made) and Furioso (4 bases deep). It will take approximately 40 seconds to post and costs nothing:

I "fondly" remember the days when the same thing would take me 40 minutes. Personally I think these hosting sites keep shooting themselves in the foot.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Raider4

Quote from: mmcv on 23 May 2019, 08:13:27 AM
I'm not sure what image sharing sites have against vowels in their names though.

It's almost certainly about trying to find a website name that wasn't already taken. Someone will have grabbed www.flicker.com very early on, but a made up word like www.flickr.com would have been available.

On the very rare occasion I post photos I've used Onedrive to host.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: FierceKitty on 23 May 2019, 08:39:13 AM
Ever tried to learn Czech?
Prd krt skrz drn, zprv zhlt hrst zrn is a real sentence!

How rude. :o

Cheers - Phil

Raider4

Quote from: FierceKitty on 23 May 2019, 09:40:18 AM
Not "ndrv"?

Well, it used to be Skydrive, but Murdoch's lot got upset and sued them for daring to use the word 'sky' in the name.

Kind of like the way Easyjet will sue pretty much anyone with 'easy' in their name.

mmcv

I wish Google Photos worked better as it would be dead handy to link from phone or saved photos directly. Sadly it required a bit of faffing about with sharing settings and different links to make visible.

Imgur isn't too bad to use from a computer browser, though a little limited on the phone unless you switch it to desktop mode.

As I've recently started using WordPress for blogging I've found I can copy images from there which is handy enough.

mmcv

Quote from: Raider4 on 23 May 2019, 09:30:22 AM
It's almost certainly about trying to find a website name that wasn't already taken. Someone will have grabbed www.flicker.com very early on, but a made up word like www.flickr.com would have been available.

On the very rare occasion I post photos I've used Onedrive to host.

Yes you're probably right. Plus the "cool" factor of unusual spellings. It's not just an "Imager" ... it's " Imgur"!

Quote from: mmcv on 23 May 2019, 08:13:27 AM

They use Welsh ?

Techno

Up yours, Boyo. ;)

Cheers - Phil

Leman

Twll du'n bob Sais!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!