Stanley Kubrick mini-season this weekend

Started by Steve J, 27 April 2019, 08:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

For those of us fortunate to have access to the BBC, there are 3 films on over this weekend by Stanley Kubrick. Tonight we Have 2001: A Space Odyssey followed by Paths of Glory, both on BBC2, with Barry Lyndon on BBC4 tomorrow night. So 3 superb films to record and watch at leisure :).

FierceKitty

Great director, and two of the greatest movies ever.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

jambo1

Thanks for the heads up, would have missed this. :)

Westmarcher

Currently watching this. Just discovered it was made in 1968, the year before Apollo 11 landed on the moon. Wow!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Raider4

I have two main problems with 2001:

1 - When they get to the space station and bump into Rigsby* - completely ruins the suspension of disbelief anyone needs when watching a movie.

2 - Everything past the arrival @ Jupiter. Sorry, just an exercise in "look at our special effects, aren't they great!".

*Noted that this will only apply to anyone watching ITV sitcoms in the 70's . . .

Jim Ando

After the arrival at jupiter.

Couldnt make head nor tail of it .

Well not sober anyway.

Jim

d_Guy

Quote from: FierceKitty on 27 April 2019, 10:07:30 AM
Great director, and two of the greatest movies ever.

I have pondered this for days and the list of the one you excluded keeps changing. Would you mind awfully simply naming it?  ;)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

FierceKitty

Sorry! I don't think Paths of Glory gets a gold medal, though it's still a good movie.

d_Guy

Agree - the other two can both be said to be groundbreaking. Paths of Glory, I think, had the best acting.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

FierceKitty

Half the point of the other two is the way the characters are reduced to emotionless automata most of the time.

flamingpig0

"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

FierceKitty