This should hurt.....

Started by sultanbev, 21 May 2019, 04:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Trouble is Meirion....They probably still think it was 'a larf'.

(Gits) >:( >:( >:( >:(

Cheers - Mr Angry.

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Techno on 23 May 2019, 01:37:19 PM
Trouble is Meirion....They probably still think it was 'a larf'.

(Gits) >:( >:( >:( >:(

Cheers - Mr Angry.

Possibly, but I believe there's good evidence - not that I can cite any off the top of my head - that putting the human face in the perpetrator's mind of the victim can have a profound effect.  It can also have a cathartic and ameliorative effect on the victim as well.

Got to be worth a try?

Anyway, this has the potential to become political so let's leave it at that and send best wishes to Market Deeping Model Railway Club.
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Techno

Fair enough, Matey.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Speaking as someone who grew up in a police state, I need to remark that there are some victimless crimes. Turing was legally convicted of a crime, but he was the only victim. My present marriage would have earned me five to ten in the old days in my dear country.

None of which excuses malicious vandalism.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

I have just received a nice message from the club, thanking me for my donation.

They're now at £136000 so they are greatly over their target.

I was reflecting that I have always thought of railway modellers as second class citizens* in a way. Great at terrain, but their models don't have a "bang" element and there don't seem to be dice involved.

I am comforted by the thought that this dreadful incident shows the commonality in our hobbies. We're not so different. Perhaps there's a wider lesson there?

*Techically third class. Them toffee nosed modellers and their artistic ways! Always lauding it above us hard hobbying gamers!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Message from the "Market Deeping Model Railway Club"

"This (crowdfunding) page will close on the 19th of June. During that short period of time you, our supporters and fellow modelers have raised a staggering amount of money for which we shall ever be grateful. In addition, we have received numerous offers of goods and help in all sorts of ways. Thank you one and all We are currently formulating plans but above all we are determined that we will be promoting model railway modelling amongst the local youngsters and model rail clubs."

5,435 people gave £107,200. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 23 May 2019, 01:54:09 PM
Possibly, but I believe there's good evidence - not that I can cite any off the top of my head - that putting the human face in the perpetrator's mind of the victim can have a profound effect.  It can also have a cathartic and ameliorative effect on the victim as well.

Got to be worth a try?

Anyway, this has the potential to become political so let's leave it at that and send best wishes to Market Deeping Model Railway Club.
Were it me  a bullet in the perpetrator's mind would have an ameliorative effect. There are too many people on the planet and too many are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Then when they do something despicable we have to pay for them to be kept out of the way. Age is having a decided effect on my levels of toleration.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Big Insect

It's worth checking out the average age of dictators Leman - well particularly in the past - as it generally has a direct correlation to the 'angry old men' brigade time of life.

At least with dictators, the trains ran on time and I bet they wouldn't have tolerate GWR spending £millions on brand new trains which, after nearly 9 months, still haven't gotten the seating reservations to work ... mutter. mutter, mutter! :'( 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

FierceKitty

Ever travelled by train in Burma? Some dictatorships can't even run the railways.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sultanbev

"There are too many people on the planet..."
Amen, about 6.6 billion of them....

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Big Insect on 10 June 2019, 02:32:28 PM
It's worth checking out the average age of dictators Leman - well particularly in the past - as it generally has a direct correlation to the 'angry old men' brigade time of life.

At least with dictators, the trains ran on time and I bet they wouldn't have tolerate GWR spending £millions on brand new trains which, after nearly 9 months, still haven't gotten the seating reservations to work ... mutter. mutter, mutter! :'( 

That's been shown as a myth.
In fact each station had a band of men who were paid to fiddle with the clocks.