Churchill Crocodile

Started by Cross698, 21 May 2019, 12:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cross698

Big Insect

You cannot dump the trailor .... come on chaps ... this is getting down to a "how much ammo can an infantry man carry" level  ;)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

fsn

Quote from: Big Insect on 22 May 2019, 09:55:05 PM
You cannot dump the trailor ....

"Once the trailer ha expended its contents, or if it became damaged or caught on an obstacle, it could be disengaged by means of a quick release, activated by a Bowden cable. In theory it was then possible for the tank to continue in action as a conventional gun tank ..."
David Fletcher. Churchill Crocodile Flamethrower, Osprey, 2007

Sorry.  :-[
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Quote from: Cross698 on 21 May 2019, 08:02:12 PM
Bovington is a great museum.

Understatement of the year  ;)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Big Insect on 22 May 2019, 09:55:05 PM
You cannot dump the trailor .... come on chaps ... this is getting down to a "how much ammo can an infantry man carry" level  ;)

6 20 round magazines, 1 50 round belt (4 BIT), 2 grenades an a 66 rocket, from the 70's. For WWII - 110 rounds, 2 Bren Mags and 2 grenades, appropriate info for "Black Op's", Force on Force or Chain of Command - not I suspect for BKC.

On Crocs - a very low percentage of hits were on the trailer, something like 10% - so the argument is rather academic. Removing the tough characteristic looks good to me.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

I really don't have a dog in this fight, except the one of historicity.

Crocodile - not tough. OK. Whatever. However, the Crocodile should, IMHO be able to ditch the trailer and then serve as a "tough" tank - without a bow MG. The trailer was designed to be jettisoned.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Dr Dave

I'd have thought is was just like any "deploy" action in the rules. I think the "too much granularity" argument is a bit thin when there are dozens of special rules now and the bttn/brigade commander gets to orientate the template of his strafing Typhoon support.

An sdkfz7 gets to drop off its 88!  ;)

Cross698

Big Insect

Dr Dave - the Crocodile is a distinct 'unit' it is very different from an sdkfz7 that gets to drop off its 88.
I do not disagree that the trailer could be ditched - but that was when it had run out of 'juice'.

But it's your call - however the core rule is that the Crocodile is a distinct unit for our purposes and cannot drop its trailer, because it doesn't run out of fuel from the trailer - so why would you want to drop the trailer?
Just to make it Tough by dropping its ability to use it's Flamethrower capability seems a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face IMHO

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Dr Dave

Quote from: Big Insect on 23 May 2019, 11:30:08 AM
...I do not disagree that the trailer could be ditched - but that was when it had run out of 'juice'.

...so why would you want to drop the trailer?
Just to make it Tough by dropping its ability to use it's Flamethrower capability seems a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face IMHO

Well, they'd drop the trailer if they got it snagged crossing rough ground - not simply because they'd run out of juice. But in game terms if you've got a Croc in a tank fight and are being flanked dropping the trailer to regain tough sounds like a good reason to me. I've modelled mine so that I can drop them off.

Big Insect

Interesting approach - as you are going for a defensive approach, rather than on offensive one.

But if that's a house rule you want to play then by all means   :)

Dr Dave

Mark, against jerries with faster tanks and higher cv you can't out manoeuvre them everywhere. Churchills are a terrific asset for the Brits if they refuse one flank and stomp on the other.
;)

Cross698

23 May 2019, 04:11:57 PM #27 Last Edit: 23 May 2019, 04:24:06 PM by Cross698
I have a separate trailer for mine, not for dropping off, but to add the trailer from 20cm, so initially it could be just another VII. 

Except that almost all VII's were Crocodiles...
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

I suspect that most German soldiers were not bothered about the mark of tank bearing down on them.