15 (38.5%)
Viet Nam
4 (10.3%)
Byzantines
8 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: 03 June 2019, 09:00:50 PM

fsn

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer" - Hans Gruber, "Die Hard".

Gentlemen.

Whilst I do not wish to compare myself to Alexander I am scanning the horizon for the next big project ... and coming up empty.

For post 1900, I usually do 1:1 at platoon or company level. Pre-1900, I choose armies of 400-1000 figures dependent upon my level of interest. 

• Currently, my OOBs are: Trojan War  :-[, Peloponnesian  :-[ :-w, Punic,  Dark Age, Stephen/Matilda, 1314, Roses, WSS, Naps  :-w, ACW, 1898, WWI (Africa), Beau Geste, WWII (... lots), Korea, Zombie/SF.
  • Non Pendraken is 1:600 in the air (1917-1973), Triremes, Nap naval, WWII Naval (1:600 and 1:3000) 
  • Eagerly waiting for Greeks, Samurai, 1973
  • I have no interest in: China, Aztecs, Crusades, Renaissance, Legume of Augsburg, Colonial Wars, Indian Mutiny, the C19 generally,  anything post 1980, Spanish Civil War, and fantasy.
  • I'd love Pendraken to do chariots and Byzantines
  • I could be tempted by ECW, a 'Chocolate Box' C19, Imperial Rome or Indo-China/Viet Nam. Problem is that as a solo gamer I have to create both sides. I quite fancy a Lorica Segmentata legion or two ... but who to fight?

So, Gentlemen, your thoughts? Whither now? There is always the option of expansion, but I constantly crave a bit of novelty.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

The poll says I can only choose 2 options....
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

d_Guy

I voted Flodden 1 and ECW 2. These are what I do - everyone should do them.  Plus Pendraken has bunches of nice figures.
Plus you live there, mate. Plus most of the primary source are in sort-of English.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Ithoriel

Late Roman, Sassanid and Early Byzantine - half the units are pretty much interchangeable :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

My first vote went to ECW - which, more accurately, is BCW or War of the 3 Kingdoms thus giving you expansion options into Scots Royalist and Irish armies (I'm assuming you would paint up a Scots Covenanter Army in addition to English Royalist and Parliamentarian Armies as a matter of course) and the future option of extending into the 30 Years War (with all of it's lovely continental armies). 

For my second vote, isn't Flodden, Renaissance (you said you had no interest in Renaissance)? But Pendraken have some great figures in the Flodden range so, OK, exceptions can be made. Anyhoo, for my second vote, I went for Late Roman - a refreshing change from the all conquering lorica segmenta armies (and their enemies have a more even chance of beating them thus promising more interesting games?). Late Roman armies also have the option of being more interesting (Eastern and Western armies plus guest star appearances from different types of allied foederati) and are nearer in time to Byzantines (which you hope Pendraken will branch into in future).

p.s. top marks for spelling of Augsburg, btw.   :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Matt J

Imperial Rome v (the soon to be released) Dacians

And

Vietnam - Huey's lots of Huey's
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

mmcv

When you say Byzantine, is there a particular period you have in mind? There's a over a thousand years to choose from!

The one enemy the Romans fought the most often and consistently throughout their entire history was other Romans... When there wasn't Dacians to conquer!

Wars of the Tetrarchy could be interesting for more of a late Roman civil war.

FierceKitty

Slight exaggeration. Romans of the Republic (pre-Marius here) didn't have time to thump each other much yet.

I think a few Trajanic legionaries in loricis segmentatis could be rationalised vs the Persians. As is pointed out so often, gear was expensive, and tended to be worn until past repair, so some luckier legions who had escaped heavy campaigning might well have been using older gear.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Late Roman and Sassanids as this project is self sealed. Clib has provided some amazing figures (especially if you use his Roman catafracts and Clibs rather than the existing Sassnids) if they aren't fighting each other they fight themselves.
Beautiful sculpts, wealth of detail and lots of colour.

French vs Bavarians,
Two colourful forces (Bavarians too) which could expand out in many directions.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sunjester

I went for Roman vs Sassanid, mostly for the reasons already mentioned, plus it would be a good base to expand to other conflicts. Which is the same reasons I started these armies myself.

I also chose ECW, again for the reasons others have given.

mmcv

21 May 2019, 07:37:21 AM #10 Last Edit: 21 May 2019, 07:41:14 AM by mmcv
Quote from: FierceKitty on 21 May 2019, 03:20:54 AM
Slight exaggeration. Romans of the Republic (pre-Marius here) didn't have time to thump each other much yet.

Well no, pre Marian they were typically thumping their slaves and their sometime Italian allies if we're being pedantic*  :P but if you look at a list of all their wars from their history as a whole, then most other enemies didn't last for more than a war or three, so they had to pick on someone who would provide a bit of a challenge every so often, namely themselves.

* As far as internal unrest goes.

fsn

Quote from: mmcv on 21 May 2019, 12:31:17 AM
When you say Byzantine, is there a particular period you have in mind? There's a over a thousand years to choose from!
Sorry, should have been clearer. I'm thinking of something to face down the Normans in Southern Italy. C11. Possibly with some Lombards.

Quote from: Westmarcher on 20 May 2019, 11:16:04 PM
(I'm assuming you would paint up a Scots Covenanter Army in addition to English Royalist and Parliamentarian Armies as a matter of course)
My thinking was more Covenanter, then someone for them to have a go at.

For my second vote, isn't Flodden, Renaissance (you said you had no interest in Renaissance)?
Yeah but ... have you seen the figures? It's them Swiss and Landy-necks I'm agin'.

p.s. top marks for spelling of Augsburg, btw.  :P
Which just goes to show that randomisation works- sometimes.  :D

Quote from: mmcv on 21 May 2019, 12:31:17 AM
Wars of the Tetrarchy could be interesting for more of a late Roman civil war.
Now there's a thought!  :-\

Quote from: d_Guy on 20 May 2019, 10:49:14 PM
I voted Flodden 1 and ECW 2. These are what I do - everyone should do them.  Plus Pendraken has bunches of nice figures.
I shall be perfectly honest and say that I would more tempted to do Flodden if we'd won. These two are the furthest from anything I've done before, so are tempting. I've always shied away from ECW because I think you need really big units to show off the pike/musket mix.  

Quote from: Matt J on 20 May 2019, 11:54:24 PM
Vietnam - Huey's lots of Huey's
Best soundtrack of any of the periods as well. If I did Viet Nam, I'd probably go Australians ... but then I'd have to do US Marines as well. I'd probably need to invest in quite a bit of terrain for this.  

Thank you gentlemen for your comments thus far. So far an Imperial Roman Civil War sounds fun, and Flodden is the period and campaign I know least about ... but the Covenanter grey is appealing and ... I haven't got any T34's and ....

I may have to lie down in a darkened room.  :( :'(

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

"And when Lord Oik saw the breadth of his choices, he lay down in a dark room and sobbed gently, for he could not do them all."

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: fsn on 21 May 2019, 07:42:02 AM

I may have to lie down in a darkened room.  :( :'(

who let him out !!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

I voted Flodden as it is a fascinating period and you can do the whole thing using Pendraken, and even expand it into Henry's invasion of France.
I also voted for France v Bavaria 1914 as this is a complete contrast to the Flodden  period, featuring modern weapons, but with both sides still using cavalry and the French still mostly in their 1871 uniforms.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!