Is the AP / AT difference confusing?

Started by Dr Dave, 09 June 2019, 07:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Dave

Ok, I love BKC / CWC as do all in my club.

BUT - is it just me is does anyone else find the AP and AT difference confusing?

AP in the real world stands for "armour piercing" as in APC, APCBC, or HVAP, or APDS, or APFSDS. Oh no - it's "anti-personnel". AT is obviously anti tank. But a few of us have to really think about the difference.

Way too late for BKCIV, but for CWCII, KWC and whatever follows, might it be possible to have AP meaning what it does in the real world - anti tank type rounds. Then call the other one HE for high explosive?

Big Insect

Another thing that was debated to death Dave ... the problem is that the AP stat is not just an HE round, it is an MG shooting, a mortar firing a round, an SMG or a rifle or a carbine shooting or even a flame-thrower flaming etc.etc.

AS anti-soft was considered
With AH for (you guessed it) anti-hard as well, as all units are either Soft or Hard in BKCIV. But it seemed to be too big a leap.

I personally like the split between anti-armour (cannot have AA for obvious reasons) and anti-none armour - it is missing from CWC but FWC has it but built in on a weapon by weapon basis. So it is something that is under review for CWCII and FWCII. NB: I think Korea and Spanish Civil War suppliments will be 'slaved' to the parent set of rules they operate from (so either BKC or CWC).

Maybe we should set up a competition to find the new AP ?????

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Dr Dave

I take your point. "Anti soft skin" might not lead to a good abbreviation.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Korea is an extension of WWII, so definitely BKC.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Quote from: Dr Dave on 09 June 2019, 09:44:26 PM
I take your point. "Anti soft skin" might not lead to a good abbreviation.

Glad somebody got it Dave  ;D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

T-Square

10 June 2019, 04:11:01 PM #5 Last Edit: 10 June 2019, 04:12:40 PM by T-Square
Hmmmm, for anti-armor you could use "Firing At Ruddy Tanks."

I'll go hide in my hole now.   X_X

Dr Dave

There is a line I found in the book last night that says something like: "The AT value is used when the firer is using armour piercing ammunition"  ;D

I've printed off army lists now in excel with "AT" and "HE" to help my little brain.  ;)

sultanbev

I normally write AT as A/T for anti-tank, and AP would be armour piercing; A/P would be anti-personnel.

Mark