Shield domes

Started by Dranask, 14 May 2019, 11:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I acn off a bent pfenig and 2  old franc coins. May have a 100000 lira note around somewhere.

IanS  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

williamb

Quote from: Big Insect on 15 May 2019, 03:46:53 PM

> So - I read this as the fact that you feel that the 'Dome' stands up above the surrounding units and terrain and so can be shot at.
I'm not convinced about this, as surely it depends upon what the enemy units are shooting over - it might be a Massive unit or a high terrain piece for example.
The 'foot-print' of a dome is not specified in the rules (something for FWCII errata).

Mark,
See page 56, paragraph 3, first sentence.  The dome has a radius of 20cm
Regards,
Bill

Big Insect

Yes of course Bill ... so it is 10cm above table top level - however, the issue then becomes how high are your tower blocks or Massive units (NB: I have a 6mm AT-AT that stands 12cm at the shoulder, in it's stocking feet, for example.

So it is correct that as long as you can see a point 10cm above the Shield dome unit ... you can hit it. So a half-sphere of clear plastic that has a 20cm radius, would probably solve the issue.

Thanks

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

kipt

Radius of 20cm makes it 20cm high. 

Big Insect

You are of course correct kipt  :-[

"The radius of a circle is the distance from the center of the circle to any point on its circumference. The easiest way to find the radius is by dividing the diameter in half."

This is actually a huge area ... I'd not really thought of it that way previously.
And TBF I am not 100% sure that a 40cm diameter shield dome is what the rules actually intended, as buying 3 of them would cover pretty much an entire force at 3,000pts. But I'll have a look at that.

Hmmm one to contemplate for FWCII.  Our own resident shield dome user tends to opt for individual shields.

Thanks
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

stenicplus

The Evil genius (tm) that is Dr Gordon, Lord of Darkness and Imperator of the Universe (tm) has previously used a shield dome to crawl along and destroy everything it its path.

It is as evil as it is cunning, however it suffers from a number of flaws as do many one track FWC armies and hence no longer his key tactic in making all your bases belong to him.

1. It is slow and not without danger trying to move your troops all together under it. Especially with a blunder.
2. You target the dome when shooting, not units inside it. Note page 57 paragraph 4. Once reduced to zero all further shooting at it for that 'order' is ignored.
3. Teleporting troops to inside the dome into close assault with generator unit is a hoot and rapdily decreases the life span of said unit.
4. His troops cannot shoot out of the dome either, without knocking it down.
5. Moving a shield dome costs 1 strength point per move
6. They de-activiate automatically.

Item 2 could be open to question but the fact it says further shooting against it is ignored suggests you are not targetting units but laying down massive fire to remove the shield.

Years of stretching the FWC rules to the limit at Berkeley Vale club have shown that actually combined arms forces usuall work best.