New boy takes BKC IV for a spin

Started by Norm, 14 May 2019, 07:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Had a very small 'feel my way through a few turns' game yesterday and very much liked the feel of play.

Thanks all who got this into print,

Observations on the blog as usual. LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2019/05/taking-blitkrieg-commander-iv-for-spin.html

Big Insect

Great write up Norm

I couldn't spot any errors in you play and it's a great way to approach a new set of rules.

With regards to the taking hits off or not. TBF I am torn both ways. I like the quick game effect of keeping hits on, although it does end up with weakened units being 'picked' on - which might feel a bit inaccurate historically. However, the taking hits off does add a certain 'spice' to the game.
Our club is firmly in the 'hits off' camp.

There's a bit of a discussion running on the forum about Suppression, and we play the optional 2 hits = auto suppression from area weapons fire. It can at times seem a bit harsh but again it speeds up play.

Looking forward to hearing more Norm ... glad you are enjoying the rules concepts.

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

petercooman

Great report!

I have used this simple rule in my solo games with bkc II:

At the end of the turn, units remove the following amount of hits:

veteran 3 hits
regular 2 hits
conscript 1 hit

Makes for slowly regenarating units and represents the battleshock on 'newer' platoons.

At times i also played that 1 hit can never be removed, to represent that a platoon can never fully recuperate in such a short period of time. This would represent loss of officers, special gear like radios or such things. The stuff that cannot be regained by regrouping.

Steve J

Leon

Excellent report Norm, glad you enjoyed it!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Ithoriel

Quote from: petercooman on 14 May 2019, 10:11:19 PM
Great report!

veteran 3 hits
regular 2 hits
conscript 1 hit

Makes for slowly regenarating units and represents the battleshock on 'newer' platoons.

At times i also played that 1 hit can never be removed, to represent that a platoon can never fully recuperate in such a short period of time. This would represent loss of officers, special gear like radios or such things. The stuff that cannot be regained by regrouping.

My groups have used this too, works well IMHO.

We were under the impression we'd invented it but it looks as if there may have been parallel evolutions.

Great minds think alike .... or the alternative :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Norm

Quote from: petercooman on 14 May 2019, 10:11:19 PM
Great report!

veteran 3 hits
regular 2 hits
conscript 1 hit

I like the nuanced effect of that

Ithoriel

A variant we have also used is that Fanatics recover one less hit per turn.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

petercooman

Quote from: Ithoriel on 15 May 2019, 11:15:57 AM
My groups have used this too, works well IMHO.

We were under the impression we'd invented it but it looks as if there may have been parallel evolutions.

Great minds think alike .... or the alternative :)

It was actually reccomended to me by Fenton on one of my batreps:

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,8898.0.html

Raider4

Nice report, and what a lovely little scenario! Will have to file this one away.

Thanks for posting it.

Raider4

Just pointed out these forces in both BKC I and II. I get 390 (German) vs. 230 (USSR) in version I and 585 vs. 390 in version II.

Be interesting to see the points values in version IV?

Norm

My notes say Soviet 410 and German 625 points