Duke of Aosta - uniform 1941

Started by Sunray, 11 May 2019, 04:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

11 May 2019, 04:48:37 PM Last Edit: 11 May 2019, 05:10:27 PM by Sunray
I am looking for details of the Duke of Aosta's uniform - particularly the colours of the cloth, hat etc.

The image of him surrendering to the British portray him in Italian lightweight uniform and a British style SD cap. Would love to know the cap band colour etc.  :-

I am thinking grey with gold band/badge ?

lowlylowlycook

Hmmm, there are B&W pics of him in most of the East Africa books I have but I'm not sure that I've ever come across any details about his uniform. 

I'm  guessing that  you'll have to find someone who can read Italian. 

Dr Dave

I thought the uniform for his rank would be the red and gold. Alas the pictures are all bw.

Sunray

Thanks guys.  for taking the time to do sweeper act.

Yes- B/W as you would expect for the era.  I am basing the grey cloth and gold band on two suppositions:

1. It is the dress of very senior Italian officers.

2. In Africa, most nations adopted a tropical jackets and trousers - the Italian sahariana is a classical example. However they still retained the temperate peaked cap.

John Cook

The officer's hat is called a Berretto.  In early formal photographs of the Duke he is seen wearing the uniform of an officer in the Regia Marina.  Later ones taken in the late 1930s and in 1940 show him wearing the Berretto of an officer in the Regia Aeronautica, which he joined in the 1930s.  He was a celebrated aviator.  I think I know the photos of his surrender that you allude.  It is impossible to be sure but, judging from the shape and size of the badge, and the relative tone of the Berretto (which tends to rule out navy), I would say it is Regia Aeronautica, probably in the usual in grey colour.  Hope this helps. 

Sunray

Quote from: John Cook on 20 May 2019, 02:01:57 PM
The officer's hat is called a Berretto.  In early formal photographs of the Duke he is seen wearing the uniform of an officer in the Regia Marina.  Later ones taken in the late 1930s and in 1940 show him wearing the Berretto of an officer in the Regia Aeronautica, which he joined in the 1930s.  He was a celebrated aviator.  I think I know the photos of his surrender that you allude.  It is impossible to be sure but, judging from the shape and size of the badge, and the relative tone of the Berretto (which tends to rule out navy), I would say it is Regia Aeronautica, probably in the usual in grey colour.  Hope this helps. 

Very useful John.  Detail appreciated.  James  :)