Low Area terrain questions

Started by Cuachiqueh, 11 May 2019, 03:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuachiqueh

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions regarding low area terrain.

On p.14, it states that: "LOS is limited to 10cm into, through, or out of low area terrain where the observer and the target both have Low profiles." It's the "out of" condition that's creating the issue.

Say I have an infantry unit located 2cm inside the edge of a low area field. There's an enemy infantry unit located in the clear 10cm away from the field edge (so there's 12cm between the two units).

The enemy unit has LOS to the unit in the field as the latter is within 10cm of the edge of the terrain feature.

Does the unit in the field have LOS to the enemy unit in the open? If LOS is "limited to 10cm...out of low area terrain" then I'd say no if you measure from the unit in the field (LOS ends 2cm short of the enemy). However, if you measure from the edge of the field, then the enemy is within LOS, as it's within the 10cm limit.

Or is there another interpretation that I'm missing?

My second question is how low area terrain affects movement, as stated on p.10. According to the Terrain Movement Summary table on p.13, there is no penalty. Should the wording on p.10 be: "Low Area terrain can affect visibility and will sometimes provide cover but not always"?

I've looked through some of the other threads, and I don't see these questions raised. Sorry if I'm bringing up issues that have been settled.

Jim

fred.

Visibility - I have always taken this to mean the distance through the terrain, the distance beyond this into the clear is not counted. So in your example the two units would see each other.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Cross698

In v4 crops only provide cover to infantry in terms of visibility. The wording is quite specific as you say " in, out and through" and in v4 it states that sometimes should be bounded by a wall or hedge, in which case you can't see out until you are against it. Visibility therefore is restricted to 10cm to low to low and 20cm to low to Average. It isn't explicit, but if you are on the border of the terrain, then you can see out unlimited, unless it enters another area of other terrain, which includes low terrain. From what i see in v4 low area does not cause problems with movement at all, unless bamboo etc, but then you treat it as "high". The play testers etc may have a different response though  :)