Wife Carrying - a new emerging sport

Started by d_Guy, 09 May 2019, 08:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Bunches of YouTube vids on this new sport. This is a short "crash" vid:

Some of the women have figured out helmets are a good idea. The winners apparently win the woman's weight in beer.
I can for-see this becoming an Olympic sport - like pairs skating.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Steve J

I've seen this featured on the telly before and in some countries it's quite a big thing. Funny to watch though.

Leman

Very well established over here in Europe - not sure if it was the Dutch or the Danes who started it, but it is now well established and you no longer have to be married or even a dating couple to take part. A couple of years ago two of the BBC presenters took part, Mike Bushell and Steph McGoven. He's small, she's a lot taller, so she carried him. Great fun.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Glorfindel

>>very well established over here in Europe..

Perhaps in Europe but maybe not in Britain ?    :d

Ithoriel

I was in Dorking a decade or so ago in time to watch the annual wife-carrying race, so definitely a British passtime too.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

Quote from: Glorfindel on 10 May 2019, 04:21:12 PM
>>very well established over here in Europe..

Perhaps in Europe but maybe not in Britain ?    :d
Britain actually IS a European country. The mainland is only 22 miles away, whereas you need to travel hundreds of miles to get to the American continent.

Glorfindel

>>Britain actually IS a European country. The mainland is only 22 miles away, whereas you need to travel hundreds of miles to get to the American continent.

Sorry - I was being slightly provocative!

Anyway, in response to your point, yes you are quite correct.   We are physically
located very close to the mainland.   Intellectually, however, there is (clearly) a
long standing and continuing debate on that.

Enough of this nonsense and apologies for derailing the thread !   Long may
the sport of wife carrying continue !   Personally, I don't think I would survive
the process...     :D   I'm sure she would say something similar !

Phil

d_Guy

Further research is showing that the sport began with the lighter person riding on the shoulders of the stronger. The carrying method show in the video is the most highly evolved (and intimate!)

From my place of observation Britain is in Europe. Then again at the closest point the USA and Russian Federation are less than 3 miles apart.

Aksu

Hullo,
This was invented in Finland, one of the many glorious sports coming from here, such as swamp football and wellie throwing. Mobile phone throwing used to be big, but has faded with the demise of Nokia.
Cheers,
Aksu

FierceKitty

Thank Heavens! A well-flung Nokia could cause compound fractures!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

We are of course far better than any eurpoeans, remember - "The English are Best"

IanS  ;) ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Certainly at being the buffoons of Europe. Pretty redhot at enslaving tens of thousands, condemning their own industrial workers to two centuries of slum living .......... need I go on. Nationalism and patriotism are tremendously dangerous.

paulr

Quote from: FierceKitty on 12 May 2019, 06:19:37 AM
Thank Heavens! A well-flung Nokia could cause compound fractures!

I know of a Police officer who flung his Nokia mobile so well that it stunned the 'alleged offender' that was running away from him :o
The officer caught up with and apprehended the 'alleged offender'
The officer later tried to get the Nokia repaired under warranty :o :o ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it."

George Bernard Shaw
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data