Suggestions on how to start

Started by Jamsus, 09 May 2019, 07:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamsus

Hello everyone, i'm Andrea from Italy.

I'm new to BKCIV world and i'm also pretty new to Pendraken 10mm, which i had "tasted" with some friends and got captured.

I would like to receive some suggestion on "What to buy to begin". I'll try to explain better, sorry for poor english.

My friends are lazy, so i would like to grab them and bring them in BKCIV10mm world buying two armies to let them come to my house and try the game without expenses.

What is a good starting set to begin? I was thinking British & Germans "BKC-IV Starter Packs" as starting packs (in the same war theather obviously) but i would like to add something else to bring a bit more variance.

Thanks everyone for the help :)

Steve J

Welcome on board Andrea and your english is way better than our Italian I'm sure. I think the starter packs are a good investment. They have enough in them to give you a good game on a 1.2m x 1.2m table. Once you get familiar with the rules and the sort of games you like, then you can add more. Hope this helps?

Jamsus

Ok good, so just the starter armies are a good entry to play the game?

That is good to hear. Approximately how much "points" they are valued, in game? (average i mean, i imagine it is different from russian to german)

Thanks for the help!

Ithoriel

09 May 2019, 11:50:44 AM #3 Last Edit: 09 May 2019, 11:52:41 AM by Ithoriel
Here's one suggestion of how you can field one of the starter packs.

British, NW Europe Starter Army

Pack contains:

1 x CO unit (5 figures)                                         120pts (1 stand of 3 figs)
2 x HQ (CV8)                                                     120pts (2 stands of 1 figure each)
6 x Infantry units (30 figures)                               240pts
1 x 3" Mortars unit (3 mortars with crews)               75pts (1 unit of 2 mortars)
1 x MG unit (3 MG teams)                                     40pts (1 unit of 2 MGs)
1 x 6pdr AT unit (2 guns with crews)                    170pts (2 units of 1 gun each)
1 x Humber A/C unit                                             85pts
5 x Sherman, 75mm units                                    625pts
1 x Trucks unit.                                                   15pts
Total                                                               1490pts

There are many options that would raise or lower the points cost. Infantry could be Green or Veteran troops or equipped with PIATS, HQs could be CV7, you could field only one HQ of two figures, mortars and MGs could be one model per stand or three and so on.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Orcs

Welcome to the Forum Jamsus.

Your English is fine, so don't worry about it.

We base our figures 3 to a 30mm x 30mm base. Mortars and machine guns one per base, so the starter pack will go even further.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

Quote from: Orcs on 09 May 2019, 12:11:07 PM
We base our figures 3 to a 30mm x 30mm base. Mortars and machine guns one per base, so the starter pack will go even further.

Cheapskates. :)

I base my infantry 6 to a 40x20mm so I'd only get 5 units.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Jamsus

Thanks everyone for useful suggestions!

For the basing i'm gonna using the standard for 10mm as suggested by the book, for the pieces on the bases i'll see on the moment with the idea of creating a "coherent" aestethic for the army i'm playing!

Ehm, off-topic doubt - do bases are included in starter army packs?

FierceKitty

Mi dispiace molto, che non puo parlare l'Italiano un po' miglior. Ma benvenuto, Andrea!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Orcs

Quote from: Ithoriel on 09 May 2019, 12:24:35 PM
Cheapskates. :)

I base my infantry 6 to a 40x20mm so I'd only get 5 units.

I suffer from Deep rooted Meglomania! So have the need to reproduce the entire army at one stand per platoon.  ;D

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

Quote from: Jamsus on 09 May 2019, 01:16:47 PM
Thanks everyone for useful suggestions!

For the basing i'm gonna using the standard for 10mm as suggested by the book, for the pieces on the bases i'll see on the moment with the idea of creating a "coherent" aestethic for the army i'm playing!

Ehm, off-topic doubt - do bases are included in starter army packs?

No Bases are extra I am afraid, but Leon will supply whatever you need.  If you want something non standard, he is more than willing to help

Jamsus

I think i will buy 3 starter packs + all the bases at this point  :d

Jamsus

Ok i did the order.

German NW

British NW

Late Russian

I will probably need help to make some list, but until then i must dig deeper in the rulebook :)

Big Insect

Welcome aboard Jamus ... have a good read of the book ... also read through this Forum, but there is also another older forum to be found at: http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/
This is closed to new members, but has lots of old archive threads - all on the older set of rules (BKCII) but there are many battle reports and photos etc.

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Jamsus

The order arrived today... beatifully packed!  ;)

Now i should start to study a bit more the rules, but i think i should ask for some help to sort out 1 army list for British (Ithoriel already helped here, thanks!) & German (both starter kit + 1 churchill + 1 tiger) & Russian (late war starter set), so i can "put on the field" something in the meanwhile i'm painting & studying.

Models are beatiful too, but we all know that.