Targeting Terrain Features

Started by Cuachiqueh, 08 May 2019, 11:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuachiqueh

Hi All,

I was working through the section on Targeting Terrain Features. It states that: "each strike has 8d6 attacks (as determined by the attack stats listed in the appropriate army list)." It's the part in the parentheses that's tripping me up.

If I look at the attack stats in the British Army – NW Europe list for an off-table 5.5" gun, the attack stats are AP=4 and AT=4. I don't see how the 8d6 for the strike has been calculated.

The rule on p.13 also states that: "A standard 20cm artillery template is used." When targeting a terrain feature, can you still choose what type of fire plan is used? Thus I'd use a 20cm diameter template for an artillery concentration, and a 20 cm square template for a barrage?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Steve J

I think the 8D6 is a typo for the reason you have given.

As for targeting a terrain feature, you can choose whether to go barrage or concentration, it's entirely up to you. I always state which I'm using before rolling for the FAO, so it is clear from the start.

Risaldar Singh

Orphan rule. One that introduces exceptions to the regular rules before explaining them and is then ignored in the rest of the book.

Simply ignore as it is redundant with preplanned artillery strikes.

Ithoriel

My guess is it should be *D6 - indicating a variable number - and someone didn't hit shift properly.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

T-Square

TLAR (That looks about right.  ;))

Risaldar Singh

Even if it is *D6 the number of D6s is explained nowhere else in the rulebook...

Ithoriel

Quote from: Risaldar Singh on 14 May 2019, 12:36:31 PM
Even if it is *D6 the number of D6s is explained nowhere else in the rulebook...

As you pointed out, it's in the army lists.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Big Insect

14 May 2019, 01:38:56 PM #7 Last Edit: 14 May 2019, 01:40:43 PM by Big Insect
Risaldar is correct ... it is a redundant 'carry over' that failed the final proof read and edit phase.

Well spotted ... it will be removed

Thanks
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.