Italian Cannone da 149/35A proxy?

Started by Dannyboy, 07 May 2019, 08:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannyboy

Any suggestions on a suitable 10mm proxy for this, saw a glimpse of some used in a SCW Heavy Artillery battery in a newsreel and wondered if there was anything suitable as a proxy in 10mm? Indeed any suggestions for heavy artillery models in 10mm for SCW appreciated.

Wary of giving the Nationalists Condor Legion manned 88's, it could all end in tears very quickly otherwise!  ;D

There is a QRF model in 15mm (Hope it's ok to post a link here but don't think its in competition with Pendraken)
https://quickreactionforce.co.uk/product/wna02-cannone-da-14935a/

Many thanks as ever J

GrumpyOldMan

Hello Dannyboy

I haven't had a chance to have a big look through the ranges but I did think of the Boer 4.7 inch Naval gun, you'd have to scratch build the wedges. Pic in the bottom right of the superbly painted figures below:-

Does anybody have pictures of any of the WW1 heavy artillery pieces?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

John Cook

08 May 2019, 01:47:37 AM #2 Last Edit: 08 May 2019, 01:49:55 AM by John Cook
I have never seen this Italian piece mentioned in the context of the SCW.  It was not used by the Italian CTV during the war and wasn't supplied to the Nationalists.  It also doesn't get a mention in Howson's 'Arms for Spain' or Garcia's and Franco's 'Arms of the Republic – A Nationalist Overview' which are, between them, pretty definitive as far as the Republic is concerned.  

I suspect the piece you saw was a de Bange 155mm Model 1877.   There is well known imagery of a Popular Army battery in action near Teruel in 1937.

This antique was produced under licence by Russia in 152mm prior to WW1 and supplied by France in 155m to Russian during WW1.  It was only used by the Popular Army and was part of the obsolete rubbish that the Soviet Union dumped on the Spanish Republic.  Approximately 30 of these guns were sold to the Republic and were formed into 15 two-gun batteries.   A French piece and a Russian piece were included in the exhibition of captured Republican kit in San Sebastian in 1938.

Pendraken's BW14 Boer 155mm Creusot is a good surrogate at around £5 and is what I used.  

Alternatively if you are a lottery winner you can get a de Bange Mle 1877 in 1:144 from Shapeway at £25 a go.  

Other Italian pieces which were used during the war can be had from Pithead.

fsn

Quote from: John Cook on 08 May 2019, 01:47:37 AM
de Bange 155mm Model 1877.
de Bange? Really?  =O

I love this forum. I learn so much.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 08 May 2019, 12:09:08 AM

Does anybody have pictures of any of the WW1 heavy artillery pieces?

Cheers
GrumpyOldMan

Here's a couple of pictures of my WW1 heavies I took a while ago - British 60 pdr (Catalogue No is BP11) and German 150mm field gun (Catalogue No is GP8).

Hope they are useful.

Cheers
Peter

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

John Cook

Quote from: pierre the shy on 08 May 2019, 12:12:43 PM
Here's a couple of pictures of my WW1 heavies I took a while ago

The 60pdr was certainly used by the Republicans.  They had originally been supplied to Russia by the UK during WW1 and the Soviet Union used the opportunity to flog 12 of them to the Spanish Republic.   Just about any gun used in WW1 found its way into the Popular Army at one time or another. 

Some of its nomenclature is a bit unclear but this is a useful site for the Republic's forces.  http://www.sbhac.net/Republica/Fuerzas/Armas/Armas.htm

Dannyboy

Many thanks as ever for the input, I may very well have been mistaken with the newsreel footage, it may have been WW1 vintage slotted in which happens occasionally with documentary clips. Looks like I'll stick with the British 60pdr for the Republicans. It's a cracking model judging by the photos.