Linear Terrain vs Low Area Terrain and Visability

Started by fred., 07 May 2019, 07:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prophaniti

I've been thinking about the matter of 'Low profile' and the AP stat, for a bit.  Especially as most soft targets are also low profile, with the exception of large guns and trucks.

I'm of the opinion that 'low profile' almost doesn't need to be a special rule and that the matter would be more clear, and involve fewer special rules in general game play, by reducing everything's AP stat by by 1* (except for indirect weapons) and having an 'average profile' rule for the large guns and trucks where the attacker gets a bonus D6.

*weapons with an AP of 1 should probably be left at 1, given the caveat at the start of the special rules that prevents attacks from being made useless.

(I did re-read this thread before posting, just to make sure that the low profile rule is what I think it is.)

Am I mad?

Dr Dave

I spotted that as well. There was a house rule on the old forum that trucks, once empty, were simply removed (to stop the RASC charging around!  ;D). That would make your suggestion even more useable.  ;)

Cross698

Prophaniti

Stugs should still be OK.  They're attacked by the AT stat, so Low profile is fine there.  Most vehicles are average profile.

My main thinking was that pretty much all the AP targets were low profile, to the point where the 'special rule' is the norm.

Cross698

Ah yes! All Infantry, Infantry support HMG and Mortars, ATGs, except Flak 36 88, jeeps and motorcycles and designated low profile AFVs.

TinyTinTroops

I am still stunned that this rule only appears in the Special Rules - how is it possible that it was missed for inclusion in the sections on Profile, Firing and on the QRS.

Was this a very late addition ? Has it been playtested ?

We now have Infantry able to suppress tanks with relative ease and with less chance of being hit too !!!

This looking more like a fantasy than reality.

Tony Hughes of Tiny Tin Troops

2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dr Dave

Check the other thread on suppressive fire. You can only use if you have no chance of killing (causing a real hit) and with suppressive fire you only hit on a 6, so it's not that easy. .

AJ at the Bank

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.