Rebels and Patriots - ACW Basing

Started by steve_holmes_11, 07 May 2019, 03:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

Another question for the forum - you've been exceptionally helpful with my earlier questions about basing, magnets, painting, lenses and so forth.

The little voice in my head is telling me that Pendraken ACW figures would make an excellent platform for Rebels and Patriots.
Has anybody else done this, do you have pistures?
Do you have any suggestions for emploting 1-2-3 basing with the 10mm guys?

Thanks

Steve J

For the 3-2-1 basing I use the following:

1 figure on a 10mm plastic tiddly wink style disc, bought from Ebay.
2 figures on a 1 pence coin
3 figures on a 2 pence coin
Cavalry I case single on 1 pence coins IIRC.

Hope this helps?

fred.

I have thought about this, but not done anything yet. I thought about using the base sizes as per the rules, and putting twice the number of 10mm figures on each base, so 2, 4, 6 figures.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

I did Dark Age Britons like that for a 28mm game, but single 10mm figures are not what I'd go for, nor something as small as a 10mm disc. Were I to do it I'd go for 20mm, 25mm, 30mm with more figures per base, as it is the base that is important, not the number of figures on it. Besides, you then get something that looks like a viable force.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

steve_holmes_11

Thanks for all the suggestions: I'll soon hop into a one man conclave to determine the results.

Present thoughts:

1-2-3 seems good for a small project, but perhaps a little fiddly.
Some new technology to master with fixing figures to tiddleywinks and coins.

Multiplying up would certainly be visually impressive.

Pros for this are that I aleady have a basing solution for Rampant games in 15mm
I've also commented that Rebels and Patriots seems less welded to one base one man than earlier titles in the franchise.

Cons are that a side project becomes a big scale project (one of many).
Also bigger bases require more table space and thus a biger table (or ironically) smaller games

The answer may be to buy a couple of packs at the next show and start prototyping.

Steve J

You can just about see my 3-2-1 basing in the following:

https://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.com/2018/11/the-pikemens-lament-dawn-patrol-aar.html

Super glue works perfectly well for gluing to coins and tiddlywinks. I've seen others that have put more figures per base, but simply count each base as one figure. Looks impressive and doesn't affect game play other than requiring more space.

Raider4

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 08 May 2019, 09:39:25 AM

The answer may be to buy a couple of packs at the next show and start prototyping.

Why is the answer always buy something new & shiny? I have boxes & drawers & shelves full of new & shiny . . .

Steve J

Don't we all (well mine are in bags in the attic, but same thing :D).

Leman

Exactly - I have loads of unpainted 15mm ACW crying out for a bit of 3-2-1 basing for R&P.

fred.

Quote from: Raider4 on 08 May 2019, 11:11:59 AM
Why is the answer always buy something new & shiny? I have boxes & drawers & shelves full of new & shiny . . .

If we don't buy more stuff Leon will be out on the street and penniless. Think of the children!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

If I keep buying stuff I'll be out on the street and penniless. There comes a point where you really do need to look at the lead mountain and decide to just deal with it. Completed this command group over the last few days using stuff I bought about 20 years ago:

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

Four down, only #&^%#^&^% more to go ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Steve J on 08 May 2019, 10:12:08 AM
You can just about see my 3-2-1 basing in the following:

https://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.com/2018/11/the-pikemens-lament-dawn-patrol-aar.html

Super glue works perfectly well for gluing to coins and tiddlywinks. I've seen others that have put more figures per base, but simply count each base as one figure. Looks impressive and doesn't affect game play other than requiring more space.

Very nice.
The title Dawn Patrol confused me - Until the end I expected Biggles and Algy to swoop with their Camels to rescue the beleaguered English.

It reminded me (slightly) of my current "Big Push".
A bunch of Indian Ocean forces form the Age of Discovery (16th century) using Dragon Rampant.

Digressing, there was a comment about cut down Pikes - something mentioned by several contemporary writers.
Officers often condemn this - typically inexperienced troops cutting the weapon down for an easier time on the march.

I then read about the Portuguese storming of Malacca.
After several days of shooting and counter shooting, they stormed thh town with pikes in the lead.
I'd imagine having at least some of your close fighters wielding a handier spear would be a great advantage when there are things like winding alleys and houses to clear.
The Portuguese account doesn't go into great detail about armament.
I'm therefore extrapolating form contemporary Spanish experience in Central America.
Their close fighting troops discarded their pike in forest conditions and mostly re-equipped with sword and buckler.

Orcs

Quote from: Raider4 on 08 May 2019, 11:11:59 AM

Because your an addict !  Embrace it and stop worrying about your lead mountain  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

Quote from: paulr on 08 May 2019, 08:07:46 PM
:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

Four down, only #&^%#^&^% more to go ;D
Indeed - it must be about another 500, and that's just the 15mm Italian Wars.