A question of scale.

Started by Organistus, 07 May 2019, 01:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Organistus

Hi everyone.

I am new here and a french wargamer. Next month whith the players of my club we will play the battle of Carentan (June 44) in Carentan. The table has a size of 120cm X 150 cm. First we choise to use an adaptation of Bloody Big Battles but, lack of time, I think it won't be possible. So , here is my question :

Is it possible to play  BKC IV at a higher level. ie : a unit is a company, a formation a battalion and the battlegroup a regiment?
Thank you very much.

Organistus

fsn

Good afternoon Organistus.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't BKC myself, but I'm sure there will be someone along who can help you.

Any pictures of the game will be very much appreciated. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Welcome to the forum Organistus!

I don't see any reason why BKCIV wouldn't work at that level.

We've played multiplayer BKC games with multiple Battlegroups from time to time an they seem to work well. The last one used BKCIV and it went smoothly.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Big Insect

It is perfectly acceptable to play BKCIV at a higher level.

It does (I suggest) think that you might want to consider the scale of figures/models you are using - the smaller the scale the better I would suggest - unless you have a very big playing table or are using each unit to represent a higher formation (so many more historical units per on table unit).

If playing a larger scale game you may choose to use the Optional Rule that means that casualties (Hits) remain on the unit from turn-to-turn. It greatly speeds up the game.

Also do consider using the Fixed Formation Optional Rule, as that avoids complications of cross-commanded units, which avoids confusion during play.

I hope that helps

Thanks
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

ronan

Quote from: Big Insect on 07 May 2019, 03:58:33 PM
(...)
If playing a larger scale game you may choose to use the Optional Rule that means that casualties (Hits) remain on the unit from turn-to-turn. It greatly speeds up the game.

Also do consider using the Fixed Formation Optional Rule, as that avoids complications of cross-commanded units, which avoids confusion during play.
(...)

I do agree !
( et bon jeu ! )

Techno

Welcome to the forum, Organistus !  :)

Cheers - Phil

marfac70

Quote from: ronan on 07 May 2019, 04:55:50 PM
I do agree !
( et bon jeu ! )
very interested in the subject. i was considering to convert some Rommel (Sam musafta publishing) scenarios and or Panzerkorp's rule  cenarios into BKIV ones, but had to consider an increase of scale  like the one described above (1 stand = 1 company).
would you recommend also to halve the ranges ?
For sure I'd use the option rules to keep the Hits (wit the chance  for each command , to reduce one hit for some units , during the end phase, under the condition they are in command range and with a di roll < the CO Value.

thanks

PeterRushton

Yes, the game will work fine, just do your orders of battle at that higher scale. In fact for me, given the semi-abstract nature of the combat system, I probably prefer it like that and have Pendraken 10mm German and US KG Peiper Ardennes forces at this representational scale.

Good suggesstions above for using the optional rules for the casualties etc. If using smaller scale units (6mm or 10mm) maybe half all distances rather than just combat ranges depending on the board space to ground scale required to fit your scenario. Look forward to seeing photos of the result and maybe of the local area as you will be in Carentan as you play.

Good luck with your refight.

Peter

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The system works form 1-1 to Company well, tried all of them. And Hi !  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021